Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
Kesendeja

Default Made a major change to attributes

In a Pyramid article, I forget which issue, it talks about changing the price for IQ and HT to 15 a point each. Is there any way to do this in the character generator?

It also has the side effect of moving Per to HT instead of IQ.

Last edited by Kesendeja; 12-20-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
Kesendeja

Default Re: Made a major change to attributes

Never mind, finally figured it out. On a slightly unrelated note I keep crashing the program though, is there a limit to the changes that can be made in a single file?
Old 12-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
Never mind, finally figured it out. On a slightly unrelated note I keep crashing the program though, is there a limit to the changes that can be made in a single file?
No, not really.

It is possible to crash GCA with various types of bad data, unfortunately (I don't have enough traps for such things in the code), but the most common causes of crashes are inside the UI itself. For example, there's a known bug in the Quick View where clicking on the gray background area can cause crashes.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Also, be sure that you're making the changes you want in your own custom data files, stored in My Documents.

Don't ever make changes directly to the files in the GCA4 installation folder, because that can lead to issues caused by Windows, and because those files get overwritten by updates.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Kesendeja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Also, be sure that you're making the changes you want in your own custom data files, stored in My Documents.

Don't ever make changes directly to the files in the GCA4 installation folder, because that can lead to issues caused by Windows, and because those files get overwritten by updates.
Thanks for the advice, so far I'm saving them in the character folder while I work on them.

When I get to changing the skills, some are going to use health where they now use Dex. How do I remove the originals?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
Thanks for the advice, so far I'm saving them in the character folder while I work on them.

When I get to changing the skills, some are going to use health where they now use Dex. How do I remove the originals?
If you redefine the skill, it will overwrite any same-name skill loaded earlier in the loading process.

Or, you can use some of the data file commands to just replace the tags in the originals that you want to change. Check out the files in the /variants/ folder, such as "Variant Magic 4e - Alt Attribute HT.gdf" which specifically changes the types of the spells, which is the same process you'd use for changing skills.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
Jareth Valar

OK, concerning this. We are using the stuff from the Pyramid article "Know your own strength". #3/83 pg. 16

I can find the formula in GCA that affects Basic Lift, but I'm at a loss as how to formulate the new on from the article.

Also, I can see DamageBasic and HP, but can't figure out how to change the damage list or base HP off of weight.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth Valar View Post
OK, concerning this. We are using the stuff from the Pyramid article "Know your own strength". #3/83 pg. 16

I can find the formula in GCA that affects Basic Lift, but I'm at a loss as how to formulate the new on from the article.

Also, I can see DamageBasic and HP, but can't figure out how to change the damage list or base HP off of weight.

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm pretty sure someone around here did something with that some time back....

I found this, is that what you're after?
Old 12-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
Kesendeja

Sorry wrong thread

Last edited by Kesendeja; 12-20-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #10
Jareth Valar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I'm pretty sure someone around here did something with that some time back....

I found this, is that what you're after?
For the most part, yes. Thank you very much.

However, in the article, it re-prices HP based off of weight of the character, completely independent and unconnected to ST. This does not address that. Is there a way to do this?
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attribute cost, pyramid