Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #41
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [IC] Lost in Dreams (Stephen)

The main area of the village is as it was before: mostly quiet but with a few women going back and forth and a bunch of children playing some sort of game in a side street. And the steady rain still coming down. The clothes are getting wet quite quickly, but don't seem to be soaking up the water particuarly well.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #42
Justin_Bedard

(Goal #1 complete! onto finding out where i'm at!)

Stephen, in a slightly less stealthy manner, navigates through the town, trying to get a feel of any important buildings or locations.

(How much variance in appearance is there between Stephen & the natives, specifically the tan ones? Is it radically different, enough to spot him in a crowd, or barely any difference?)
Justin_Bedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #43
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The villages outside the town all have a set of community buildings in their center. The town itself has a couple of market places, a set of docks where the river runs through, and an area where much of the black rock in the carts is being taken.

Stephen will be easy to spot in a crowd, but much of that is his lack of a beard. His skin tone is slightly off, but not very much. Somewhere between easy to spot and hardly a difference.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #44
Justin_Bedard

Stephen decides to follow the carts, going in the same direction, making sure to blend in with the crowd as much as possible.

If he finds anything along the way, he might stop & look at it.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #45
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The town has a number of water wheels lining the river. Stephen's not sure what they are doing, but they can't all be grinding grain. If you even have to grind rice.

He makes it to the cart's destinations, his bare feet as caked in mud as any local, and sees a flash of light, corresponding with the strange sensation he had picked up earlier.

An area in the center of town had four massive pitch black stone blocks set into it. Teams of men where rapidly scribbling on them with chalk, forming patterns not unsimilar to the ones on the heat stones in the laundry. These stones had much larger patterns, and a lot more of them, concentrated along the edge of the massive stone blocks.

On a smaller stone block stood a man in what seemed to be a trance-like medatiation, but paying attention to things that weren't there. The lines on his stone (about four feet across) were glowing brightly.

After a crew finished (which took a couple of minutes, and they had been pretty close to the end when Stephen showed up) a large load of the black stone was dumped on the larger stone, and a final circle was drawn around the chalk symbols. A man stepped on top of the stone fragments, and the entire thing began to glow, raising a semi-sphere dome of light around the man and the load of rock. The man in the meditative state suddenly became much more active. The light intensified, and the load of rock and the man were gone.

It was, of course. Still raining.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #46
Justin_Bedard

Stephens desire to know more intensifies, as he watches the strange activity. If it looks dangerous, Stephen'll try to slink away, walking in the opposite direction of the event.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #47
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

It doesn't appear dangerous at all. And the men around it aren't treating it like its miraculous at all. They just scribble away or shovel away, like loading so much wood onto a barge.

The scribbles on the stones are slightly different each time, but the same general pattern remains. There is one man whose job seems to be making sure the right symbols are drawn.

There are plenty of people in the area, and no one pays attention to stephen.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #48
Justin_Bedard

Stephen continues to watch until something happens.

If he thinks a long period of time (say... an hour) has gone by, he'll get bored and wander around again, trying to pick up on some of the native language and culture.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #49
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

It happens again and again: the men inscribe symbols on the stones, load it up with stone, and the whole thing glows before vanishing. Off to the side, he notices a series of crushed black stone in similarly sized circles. These occasionally light up, in a similar manner, all on their own, and dump off goods with a man in the center. Most of the goods are food, but there is some clothing and a decent number of tools. These are mostly carried on the road the rock is coming in from.

How exactly is he going to try to pick up the language and culture? Sitting by the side of the market square, listening to people? approaching people? exploring the center of the town?

Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #50
Justin_Bedard

(He'll try listening to them first... Can't do much just yet...)

Tags
lost in dreams