Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #21
Anders

Default Re: [Psionics] 'Spirit Magic' as a psi ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Any Modular Abilities cheaper than Slotted Cosmic tends to suffer from abuse, as it is possible to spend less CP on the Modular Ability than the CP that you get to reallocate. For example, if Spirit Magic is normally 5 CP per slot and 3 CP per CP reallocated, and if I take Spirit Magic (40, 40, 40, 40, 40; Costs FP, 4 FP, -20%; Preparation Required, 1 hour, -50%; Psionic, -10%) [125], I can reallocate 200 CP worth of skills and mental abilities for only 125 CP. Of course, I need suitable rituals for the reallocation and antipsi abilities inhibit the reallocation, but neither matters for the abilities and skills I acquire through reallocating the points.
This is correct, and that's why I added a house rule that says limitations can't reduce modified cost to less than 2+2. But I understand not everyone does this.

Anyway, this is a side-track. Sorry about derailing the thread.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #22
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
This is correct, and that's why I added a house rule that says limitations can't reduce modified cost to less than 2+2. But I understand not everyone does this.

Anyway, this is a side-track. Sorry about derailing the thread.
It's OK, at least now I know that people are thinking about it.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #23
Prince Charon

A science fiction or science fantasy character:

Jack Cloudhopper, in the 19th year of the reign of Imperator Vortigus of House Galactica

Attributes

ST 11 [10]; DX 14 [80]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 13 [30]

Secondary Characteristics

HP 11; Will 13 [5]; Per 12; FP 13

Social Background

Languages: Galaxese (Native) [0]; Dronesong (understands at Accented, but speaks as if Broken) [2].

TL: 11^

Cultural Familiarity: Imperium Galactica [0].

Subtotal: 167

Advantages

Appearance (Handsome) [12]
Charisma 3 [15]
Danger Sense (ESP, -10%) [14]
Destiny (Rightful Imperator) [15]
Harmony with the Way (Trained by a Master; Astral Projection, -10%) [27]
Spirit Empathy (Astral Projection, -10%) [9]
Spirit-Touched (Cosmic Modular Abilities; Astral Projection, -10%; Only for Allies with Summonable and Minion, -50%; Requires Will Roll (Meditation), -5%) 12 [42]
Status 1 [5]

Talent: Born Spacer 4 [20]
Talent: Intuitive Statesman 3 [30]

Perks

Near-Death Projection. [1]
Signature Gear (Cutsteel, Force Sword of the White Knight). [1]
Style Familiarity (Force-Swordsmanship). [1]
Weapon Bond (Cutsteel, Force Sword of the White Knight). [1]

Subtotal: 193

Disadvantages

Charitable (15) [-7]
Impulsiveness (15) [-5]
Secret (Rightful Imperator; Possible Death) [-30]
Sense of Duty (close friends and companions) [-5]

Quirks

Brags about his piloting skills. [-1]
Dreamer. [-1]
Seeks adventure, without understanding the consequences. [-1]
Whiny. [-1]

Subtotal: -51

Skills

Acrobatics [DX/H] [1] 12
Aerobatics [DX/H] [2] 17*
Armoury (Blasters)/TL11^ [IQ/A] [2] 12
Armoury (Force Swords)/TL11^ [IQ/A] [1] 11
Beam Weapons (Pistol)/TL11^ [DX/E] [1] 14
Beam Weapons (Projector)/TL11^ [DX/E] [1] 14
Beam Weapons (Rifle)/TL11^ [DX/E] [2] 15
Blind Fighting [Per/VH] [2] 10
Computer Operation/TL11^ [IQ/E] [1] 12
Diplomacy [IQ/H] [1] 13**
Expert Skill (Psionics) [IQ/H] [1] 10
Force Spear (Rifle with bayonet) [DX/A] [1] 13
Force Sword [DX/A] [2] 14
Free Fall [DX/A] [1] 17*
Gunner (Beams)/TL11^ [DX/E] [2] 15
Gunner (Rocket)/TL11^ [DX/E] [4] 16
Karate [DX/H] [1] 12
Leadership [IQ/A] [1] 14**
Mathematics (Applied)/TL11^ [IQ/H] [2] 11
Mechanic (Contragravity)/TL11^ [IQ/A] [1] 11
Mechanic (High-Performance Spacecraft)/TL11^ [IQ/A] [1] 11
Meditation [Will/H] [1] 11
Mental Strength [Will/E] [2] 14
Mind Block [Will/A] [1] 12
Navigation (Jumpdrive)/TL11^ [IQ/H] [1] 10
Navigation (Space)/TL11^ [IQ/A] [1] 15*
Parry Missile Weapons [DX/H] [1] 12
Piloting (Aerospace)/TL11^ [DX/A] [1] 17*
Piloting (Contragravity)/TL11^ [DX/A] [1] 17*
Piloting (High-Performance Spacecraft)/TL11^ [DX/A] [4] 19*
Spacer/TL11^ [IQ/E] [1] 16*
Vacc Suit/TL11^ [DX/A] [1] 17*

*Includes +4 from Born Spacer Talent.
**Includes +3 from Intuitive Statesman Talent.

Techniques

Feint (Force Sword) (H) Force Sword-0 [0] 14
Force Sword Art (A) Force Sword-3 [3] 14
Targeted Attack (Force Sword Swing/Arm) (H) Force Sword-2 [2] 13
Targeted Attack (Force Sword Swing/Leg) (H) Force Sword-2 [0] 12
Targeted Attack (Force Sword Swing/Neck) (H) Force Sword-5 [0] 9

Subtotal: 51

Total: 360

Equipment

Clothes
Boots
Utility belt
Graflex Arms EP-4 medium blaster pistol
Cutsteel, Force Sword of the White Knight

Notes

Jack is a really blatant expy of Luke Skywalker, but he's also a rather blatant expy of Arthur Pendragon, both of whom fit into the Hero with a Thousand Faces concept. This is Jack as he's just departing with the Mad Hermit Ken Obolos, on his first adventure.

I thought about giving Jack Born War-Leader, but decided that fits better with his cousin, Princess Alura, who has for her own reasons been leading a rebellion against her father. Whether those reasons are good or evil is something the PCs need to learn. (Alura is not Jack's sister, nor his half-sister, though depending on his father's parentage, she might be his aunt; she is otherwise pretty similar to both Leia and some versions of Morgan le Fay, though.)

Upon the death-by-childbirth (actually poison) of the Imperatrix Uturia of House Galactica and the presumed death of her lover, the White Knight Sir Alerik Draconis, their child Prince Jakobus was spirited away by Sir Alerik's teacher and best friend, General Sir Kenneth Myrtham, KGIG (Knight General of the Most Excellent Order of the Imperium Galactica). Kenneth and the baby traveled under assumed names, bringing the boy to a loyal friend of Sir Alerik's, Sir Ector Lars, a minor nobleman and low-level star shaman on an obscure planet. Meanwhile, Uturia's uncle, Grand Duke Vortigus, took up the throne, claiming that the newborn Prince had been stillborn (despite this, he is sometimes called 'Vortigus the Usuper' behind his back, even by those who believe that he is telling the truth). Secretly, his agents seek young Jakobus all across the Imperium, for the usurper knows that only with the true Imperator dead can he rule securely.

(Combining Sir Ector with Owen Lars makes a bit more sense than you might think: given how poor Tattooine appears to be, someone who owns their own farm and can potentially hire more field hands - at least it's likely enough that Luke doesn't scoff at the idea, nor worry about what they'd do without him - is about as close to minor nobility as you're likely to find there. Sure, there are big differences, but they get smaller if you're intentionally limiting your sources about Owen to the Original Trilogy.)

Jack is a very powerful star shaman ('the spirits are with him'), especially for his age, but his skill in Meditation, essential to the practice, really needs work. The relative isolation of Castle Lars, and Sir Ector's lack of interest in socializing with other nobles, have resulted in Jack not developing Savior-Faire (High Society). His Status advantage is on the basis of being a star shaman (not all nobles are star shamans, but all star shamans have at least an in with the nobility).

Dronesong is the musical-sounding language used by many work-drones and similar robots, as they are not equipped to simulate human speech. The written form is the same as written Galaxese.

The Graflex Arms EP-4 medium blaster pistol is a common sight in the Imperium, a pretty reliable omni-blaster (basically the Blaster Pistol from Ultra-Tech p123 with the 'Omni-Blaster' option from p124). Graflex Arms also makes various Force Swords, including the base model from which Cutsteel was customized.

Cutsteel, the Force Sword of the White Knight is a custom superfine (reliable) Variable Force Sword with a light-blue blade; damage is 8d+2(6) burn, but may be adjusted to lower levels. Adjustment of Reach, damage, or armor divisor is a free action; the blade-length can be decreased to the point of serving as a bulky scalpel or similar short cutting tool. Training mode is 1d-5(0.1) burn, though it also does cr damage as a baton in that mode. It can be mounted to most human-scale weapons (in this setting) designed to hold a bayonet of its size. The security system (and the spirit of the blade) prevents any but the worthy from igniting it. Since Sir Alerik's death, Cutsteel has been disguised to look like a more standard Graflex Arms Force Sword, without compromising its capabilities.

I've considered modifying the sheet with another Perk (probably Dabbler with Savior-Faire and a few of his 1-point skills) and another Quirk, but I'm not sure what a good Quirk would be, and what's there now works well enough to post it. If I develop the setting, Navigation (Jumpdrive) might be changed to Navigation (Warp) or Navigation (Hyperspace)... or it might not.

Thoughts?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psionics