Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #11
the1weasel

Default Re: Working with new components

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
How about wet erase markers, like the ones people use on Chessex mats?
Did anyone ever answer this? If we jack up our megahexes or cards, will there be opportunity to purchase replacements? I can put the cards in card sleeves and mark on those instead, but dry erase wipes off with a touch and is not the best method for this kind of thing IMHO.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #12
larsdangly

I am interested to experiment with what happens when a character marker chit touches one of the dry-erase lines; it is possible the lines will smear and/or transfer to the chits. We'll just have to see how that works out.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #13
ColBosch

Quote:
I am interested to experiment with what happens when a character marker chit touches one of the dry-erase lines; it is possible the lines will smear and/or transfer to the chits. We'll just have to see how that works out.
Any temporary marking system has the chance to smudge or transfer when contacted. From my experiments, if a bit of dry-erase gets on the counters, it should wipe right off. If you're concerned about ink transfer ruining your pieces, don't use markers in the first place.

Personally, I don't care if some marks get on my playing pieces. I'm here to play games, not preserve them in time capsules.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #14
JLV

Quote:
Ok, next question on this general subject: The 'Adventures' all come with custom markers, which we presumably are supposed to transform into hard copy in some fashion or another. The path of least resistance is to just print them and cut them out as thin paper pieces, but I suspect the craftier of the people here will take a more ambitious approach and get them mounted on firm cardboard with a weight and texture similar to our die cut pieces. Does anyone here have specific materials and methods they'd like to share, to help the less talented of us make good quality components?

Edit: I just figured out that they are giving us die cut counter sheets with the adventure book. What will they think of next!! But, perhaps my question is useful in a more general sense, as folks are likely to want to do things like this.
For whatever it's worth, I've had good luck with Elmer's rubber cement when making wargame counters for my wargames. For cardboard, I usually use spare counters when they are available -- which does you zero good in this case, as I will admit. HOWEVER, having said that, I always save my "spines" from which the counters have been punched out, and quite frequently you can find large enough sections of those to cut for new counters.

Two important points though: 1) I don't know how well rubber cement will work to hold paper to the dry-erase coated chipboard that came with the game (if you use the Megahex spines to make new hex counters, for example), so some experimentation would be necessary there; and 2) once you get the paper glued on, it's important to keep pressure on it for a couple of minutes until the rubber cement sets a bit. I then allow my new units to "cure" for about 48 hours before I try using them. Thus far, this technique has worked like a champ for games like Frederick the Great, Deluxe USN, October War, War Between the States, and others, and the counters I've made have lasted literally for over a decade (for the oldest ones) without dis-assembling themselves or otherwise deteriorating. In short, it works, though it may not be as elegant as some of the other solutions around! ;-)

Of course, as you say, we don't have to sweat it this time around with the Adventures counters; but for folks who want to make more home-made counters, this technique might be useful.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #15
larsdangly

I'll bet if you lightly sand the surface of the heavy stock cardboard they sent then it would take to rubber cement.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #16
JLV

Quote:
I'll bet if you lightly sand the surface of the heavy stock cardboard they sent then it would take to rubber cement.
That's an excellent suggestion!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #17
the1weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1weasel View Post
Did anyone ever answer this? If we jack up our megahexes or cards, will there be opportunity to purchase replacements? I can put the cards in card sleeves and mark on those instead, but dry erase wipes off with a touch and is not the best method for this kind of thing IMHO.
The cards have text that states we can use dry or wet erase. Wet erase should be all you need to prevent smudge getting on your counters if some care is taken.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #18
GamerApe

In the olden days we'd sandwich a cardboard counter between two pieces of box tape. Then you rub both sides with the bowl of a spoon to get the tape on good and tight. Then trim the excess. This helped preserve thin cardboard counters, and made them more robust. Don't know how it would handle makers, though; never tried.
GamerApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #19
amenditman

I have tested the Megahexes and Fighter Cards with wet erase markers.

MH - wipe clean in tests of 5, 15, and 30 mins. exposure.
FC - failed to wipe clean after 5 mins. Had to use rubbing alcohol to clean the mess.

Currently testing the MHs for 8 hr exposure.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #20
larsdangly

Oo, that's helpful! 'In god we trust; everyone else must bring data.'