Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
Anders

Default Looks like the party will be without a cleric

It looks like the party will be without a cleric. I'm running Deep Night and the Star first - are clerics strictly necessary? I may have to add a henchman - or just have the first character that dies make a cleric.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
Mister Negative

Default Re: Looks like the party will be without a cleric

In my limited experience running DFRPG, no one in our group wanted to run a cleric, even when someone did and was hugely effective vs. undead. For whatever reason, the party just viewed 'cleric nulifies certain undead' as a given, rather than a cool, powerful ability of the Cleric in question, and the player of the cleric viewed the need to heal others as a drain on his resources and wanted to be more like a Holy Warrior or a Wizard.

Maybe your group has the same dynamics and expectations, and will just suck it up and spend a lot of money on potions. Clerics seem cool to me, but it may be the intentional lack of a defined pantheon and the intentional lack of a 'non-dungeon' society that turns people off. You don't get the 'customization' that you get with other games in playing Priests of the Whatever God, who have this specific ability, and you don't get the general social regard and influence that clerics tend to have in a lot of games that emphasize intrigue and interaction more than DFPRG.

Maybe playing without one will make them appreciate the role more?

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
Anders

We're playing in Nordlond so there are specific clerics for different gods (Hand of Asgard is an excellent supplement, buy it now), but clerics have a bad rep in our group.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
Dalin

I personally love playing clerics, but I've definitely run DF and DFRPG adventures for groups that lacked them. In those cases, I've done one or more of the following:
  • Start everyone with some healing potions or other magical healing options (or, alternately, suggest that they spend starting cash on them).
  • Allow druids to use healing spells. (Especially if I don't think anyone is interesting in making a cleric in the future.) See this thread for a discussion of this option. You could extend this to other casters, too, if desired.
  • Consider upgrading mundane healing abilities to be closer to supernatural. Nothing breaks if you buff the first aid skill, for example, or provide healing kits that basically act like potions.
  • Look over the adventure with an eye toward any encounters that seem to require clerical abilities. Adjust by either changing the challenge or providing alternate solutions within the adventure. (If there's a horde of undead, maybe smart PCs can avoid them or find a blessed holy symbol that can repel undead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Negative View Post
You don't get the 'customization' that you get with other games in playing Priests of the Whatever God, who have this specific ability
In regards to this, I highly recommend Kevin Smyth's Hand of Asgard for Douglas Cole's Nordlond setting. It's a full pantheon with customized spell lists and holy abilities. They are Norse flavored, but could easily be repurposed for a non-Viking setting. They also provide great models for how to customize clerics and holy warriors a bit more. For <$7 the PDF is a steal. (The print book, though a bit more, is beautiful!)

Edit: I see HoA was already referenced while I was typing this up. I'll leave my recommendation here in case others poke into the thread.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
ULFGARD

I approach the DFRPG with the idea that a party will have 4 - 6 members. I generally have 4 or 5 players, so that works out well. My theory is that my players can make any PC that fits within the game, even if that means importing rules, spells, etc., from standard GURPS DF.

In my current campaign, I have a dungeon alchemist and a wizard using spells from the DF Magical Styles supplement, as well as a thief-mage. The only "standard" character is a scout, and he's even drawn a couple of power-ups from the DF line. One player wanted to play a "half dragon," so I created a template which pretty much soaked up all of his starting points. It made for some very interesting encounters (including meeting the scout, who has dragonhide leggings).

It has been a long, long time since anyone has played a cleric. My tendency is to fill in the core party to bring the number up to 5 or 6 with NPCs which serve the dual purpose as acting as "party allies" and as guest characters when someone's curious and wants to give the game a try. They often serve dramatic purposes as well - the players were sad when their tough guy NPC died very thoroughly.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
It looks like the party will be without a cleric. I'm running Deep Night and the Star first - are clerics strictly necessary?
Healing is not generally relevant to a single fight, it's mostly for recovery after the fight. Hence a lot of players finding it a bit unfun.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #7
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Healing is not generally relevant to a single fight, it's mostly for recovery after the fight. Hence a lot of players finding it a bit unfun.
Those fights might not be hard enough! :) Ulf Sigurdson from Peter Dell'Orto's Felltower campaign does a LOT of healing in combat. In fact, he saved several delvers' lives as a result of multiple heals given in combat (see, e.g., Felltower 104, when "Mild" Bruce definitely would have been taken down to -5xHP had he not been healed...which might have then led to a TPK given that he was restraining an enemy spellcaster). Of course, Ulf has Faith Healing in addition to a normal compliment of healing spells, as well as a Staff of Healing. Sure, it's different playing a cleric, especially after playing Hjalmarr Holgerson, a doughty viking warrior. But it's still a lot of fun.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan506 View Post
Those fights might not be hard enough!
My experience with hard fights in GURPS is that characters are either fine or down, and healing doesn't do much in either situation.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:49 AM   #9
dcarson

They can always hire Hank.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #10
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
They can always hire Hank.
He's such a Good boy!