Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2023, 05:00 PM   #21
Pursuivant

Default Re: PCs with very different reaction modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Something I've run into GMing GURPS is with PCs having very different traits that influence reactions.
The "face" character shouldn't be penalized for having socially inept or disreputable companions as long as they are operating on their own. Publicly hanging out with such characters is a good way to get a bad Reputation, however.

I'd be hesitant to penalize a Face character just because of the company they keep - as long as the Face appears to socially dominant in the situation. ("Charming girl, even if I don't care for her choice of bodyguards.")

If the Face isn't socially dominant, their bonuses shouldn't apply and the "ugly" character's penalties take precedence. ("Whassamatta, you can't speak for yerself? Tell your goil to siddown an' shaddup!")

In a social situation where the party isn't in a cohesive group (e.g., mingling at a party) the GM is justified in making individual reaction rolls for each character. Socially adept characters can either wheel and deal on their own or spend their time tending the less socially adept group members to keep them out of trouble, but not both. That indirectly limits their effectiveness. If they try to do both, apply penalties for multi-tasking to any social skill rolls they might attempt and roll reactions for the socially inept character to see if they get themselves into trouble while the Face is distracted.

People with Intolerance or who are looking for trouble will always react to the party based on their reaction modifiers to group members with Social Stigmas or other obvious negative traits. ("I ain't gotta problem with you, personally, but we don't serve HIS kind in this here establishment.") Publicly defying social prejudices is a great way for all characters involved to get a bad Reputation (as an "[ethnic slur]-lover") with local bigots. Even if the party sticks together and tries to avoid trouble, socially penalized characters will still attract negative comments, forcing the other members of the group to do some roleplaying as they decide how they react to their friend being socially attacked.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 05-05-2023 at 05:19 PM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:19 PM   #22
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
That is very useful guidance, takes account of the environment and centers on PC agency to respond.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 02:45 AM   #23
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
That's basically making the 'face' pay for the combat wombat's combat advantages.
As the combat wombat has also paid to able to defend the face when combat erupts...

Like Refplace said, specialization happens. And, if you reread my post, you'll notice some exceptions and caveats I think you're ignoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The core problem is that personal disadvantages should result in personal costs -- "I'm more powerful at a cost of the rest of the party being weaker" causes table problems. However, reaction penalties aren't worth their point value if you can ignore them by just sitting in the back and letting other people talk.
Welcome to such great Disads as Enemy and Dependent, making problems for the whole group since 1986... and Weirdness Magnet sinece the early 90s...

Now, we've spent almost 40 years figuring out how to nuance the worst of the "effects the whole party" Disads, but the Reaction penalty Disads tend to be a persistent issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
I'd be hesitant to penalize a Face character just because of the company they keep - as long as the Face appears to socially dominant in the situation.
Why not? They chose to keep them. As you mentioned, it's a good reason for a Bad Reputation, that they get for free...

Usually I require the group to make Character together, this tends to reduce the issue since if Player A wants to make a 'face' type to sell/buy/run social ops for the group, the group rarely wants to mess that up too badly, so if someone decides to buck the group and "make a monster anyway", well... it doesn't usually go well for the Player.

The few times I've seen a "beauty" and the "beast" scenario in the games I've run, the socially inept/terrible PC usually also decided to forego being stuck "in Town" or in social situations as much as possible, and since they really only show up in Fantasy games (and DF/RPG ones at that) they tend to literally avoid being in town at all (and often cannot come into town) so rarely actually get counted against the face anyway.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:35 AM   #24
dcarson

And some modifiers won't be a problem if played right. Having a Second Class citizen as a bodyguard shouldn't be a problem. That's what Second Class are for, to be used in bad jobs. Now treating them as an equal, insisting on them being allowed to stay at a good inn. That will cause a penalty.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:12 AM   #25
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
And some modifiers won't be a problem if played right. Having a Second Class citizen as a bodyguard shouldn't be a problem. That's what Second Class are for, to be used in bad jobs. Now treating them as an equal, insisting on them being allowed to stay at a good inn. That will cause a penalty.
"I am one man. This is a servant."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 11:08 AM   #26
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
"I am one man. This is a servant."
Is this a quote from something?
Old 05-06-2023, 11:36 AM   #27
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
Welcome to such great Disads as Enemy and Dependent, making problems for the whole group since 1986... and Weirdness Magnet sinece the early 90s...
I agree, they're all bad disadvantages that should be removed. There should probably be a category for "plot hooks" -- zero-point features that the GM can use to create adventures -- and all three moved into that category.
Old 05-06-2023, 01:41 PM   #28
Donny Brook

I'm skeptical about the validity of the selection of Disadvantages people complain about affecting the entire 'party'.

For one thing, the idea of a PC 'party' is an arbitrary artifact in itself.

For another thing, if there is a party, all of everyone's disadvantages affect it. The one with Bloodlust kills your prisoners before interrogation. The one with Trickster annoys the local Baron where you're trying to buy a keep. The one with Chronic Pain is dead weight while they're suffering. Don't even get started on the problems a Charitable PC will cause!
Old 05-06-2023, 01:46 PM   #29
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Is this a quote from something?
I'm about 99% certain that it is, I remember it from something, but trying to find it got me nowhere useful.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 01:57 PM   #30
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I'm about 99% certain that it is, I remember it from something, but trying to find it got me nowhere useful.
It sounds like something the insufferable git played by Alec Guiness in Bridge on the River Kwai would say.