Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
Really Impressive Title

Default Keeping Munchkin "Balanced"

First off I'd like to give any and all credit to the hard-working game makers, quality-controllers, testers and the rest of the really smart people who put Munchkin together and keep it growing. No doubt your hard work and due diligence is, in part, what has kept people coming back over the years and made Munchkin a legitimate game worthy of tournament play and the like. Not only did you guys catch lightning in a bottle but you’ve managed to keep that bottle fully charged for decades. Which is amazing.

However, as a new participant in this fine game, and in the face of countless expansions (some having very specific cards or new mechanics), the excitement of growing my collection is also shaded by a concerning sense of... imbalance… in the game itself.

My question is about deck balance; specifically "How many TYPES of cards, percentage wise, should be in a given deck of Munchkin?"

Is there an official (or unofficial) balance chart meant to preserve the integrity of the base game? Or is Munchkin, as a brand, more about chaos? And what is the formula for optimum fun?

This all first came to mind when I purchased the new ‘Double Dungeon’ expansion. It was my very first expansion and I was curious how a new game mechanic like this would impact my tried and true Deluxe set. You can imagine how relived I was when the instructions addressed this directly: “If you are playing… without any [other] expansions, we suggest that you put in only 16 Portals… Otherwise you’ll be switching dungeons every time somebody blinks.” It then goes on to say that, if your collection is too large, you should “take the top 200 or so [Door cards], and then shuffle the Portals into that deck.” - Oh! That’s awesome! So if I shuffle 16 Portals into a stand-alone Munchkin Door deck, I’ll get the desired effect they were made for. 16 Portals for every 100 Doors. Perfect!

But wait… what about Steeds? Hirelings? Curses? Monsters…

The rules eventually just invite you to add as many Portals as you like ("we're not your mom")… but, as revealed with that one simple suggestion, the fun is best found with a dash of moderation.

If we look at the base game and assume that there is a certain structural integrity to that original product, it stands to reason that there is a proven formula… a tested and retested recipe that makes Munchkin work objectively well. Sure, Munchkin isn’t a deck building game per se (you’re performance isn’t based on the deck YOU built, like Pokemon or Magic) but like Poker or Uno or Splendor, the integrity of the game as a quality experience depends on whether or not you have the right cards to properly balance that experience.

So, if we were to assign a percentage to any given card type, what would those percentages be? If we were hell-bent on buying more expansions and filling our glorious Monster Boxes with as much hilarious and unpredictable fun as possible… what is the winning combo?

What is the best made deck of Munchkins and Men?

Last edited by Really Impressive Title; 12-09-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Really Impressive Title is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:47 AM   #2
Fufu

Default Re: Keeping Munchkin "Balanced"

I think this is the information you are looking for?

Door card percentage
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
Really Impressive Title

Default Re: Keeping Munchkin "Balanced"

Yeah, this is a huge help!

Since posting, I too have laid out all of the base game cards from my Deluxe Munchkin set and have come up with a list of card types to keep balance.

Rather than using percentages, I'm simply counting the number of each card and using a "duplication" philosophy similar to the Portal rule. For instance, there are 3 Wandering Monsters in the original set. So it stands to reason that every 168 additional cards added with boosters or expansions should have an extra 3 Wandering Monsters.

This gets a little tricky with new Classes and Races. Adding Rangers and Gnomes technically throws off the balance with specialty items, Monster bonuses/penalties and other proprietary conditions that favor certain players. Steeds and Item Enhancers are also a blind spot since they are a completely new kind of card (no gold standard to compare to).

I really appreciate the Portal instructions explicitly stating how many of that card should be incorporated into a given stack of cards. I wish Munchkin would do that for their other added mechanics.
Really Impressive Title is offline   Reply With Quote