Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
Erling

Default Physical Action maneuver

What makes GURPS somewhat different from numerous other games is the absence of general concept of "action" in combat rules. For instance, in Shadowrun (any edition) you can make two Simple action or one Complex action per initiative pass. In Savage Worlds and Storyteller "action" is a very general definition which can represent either attack or almost anything else. In That Other Game until recently you had Standard Action and Move Action which could represent plenty of things. The list goes on.

Another reason why I'm writing this is because I wonder why rules allow you slash with your sword thrice in a second (All-out Attack (Double) with Rapid Strike), or run 6 yard per second and shoot your blowpipe, but disallow picking two items from a table during one turn.

I'm not saying it's a particularly bad thing, but one day I thought "what if GURPS had more general concept of physical action in combat system"? I tried to imagine how that could actually look and write down my thoughts.

In fact, attacks, "readies" and feints already have some degree of interchangeability. Opening a door with a foot can be represented by both carefully pressing it (ready) and actual kicking (attack). Trading attacks for feints is RAW (MA127). Concept of "All-out Ready" and "Committed Ready" is once in a while discussed here at forums, and MA179 hints it as well, which again proves that attacks and readies are of the same breed.

So, let's imagine GURPS still has maneuvers as a basic concept, but Attack, Ready and Feint are gone. Intead of them there is Physical Action maneuver. Substantially it allows you to do whatever Attack, Ready and Feint used to allow (these are kinds of physical actions). And then there are variants with which you can modify your maneuver:

Standard: Take one action (punch, slash, open, feint, etc.). Movement: Step. Active defenses: any.
Determined: Take one action and get +4 bonus to your roll (+1 if you make a ranged attack or a feint). Movement: up to half Move, round up. Active defenses: you lose your active defenses until your next turn.
Double: Take two actions (attack twice, ready weapon and attack, open door and attack etc.). Movement: up to half Move, round up. Active defenses: you lose your active defenses until your next turn.
Strong: As RAW.
On the Move: In order to fulfil your task successfully roll against applicable skill or DX with penalty -4, effective skill cap 9 unless slamming (or just -2 or penalty equal to Bulk if making a ranged attack). Movement: up to full Move. Active defenses: can't Retreat if attacked or feinted.

Other maneuvers remain unchanged (I'd really like to remove Change Posture and allow changing posture for Step or movement points, but that's another story).

I totally understand one can't just rebuild GURPS fundamentally without any issues. After all, RAW were thoroughly playtested and then tried for many years by thousands of players. There certainly will be issues concerning compatibility with other rules and options. Still, I suggest to discuss if general concept of Physical Action (instead of Attack, Ready and Feint as separate maneuvers) can be of some use.
Wave your arms and shout.

Last edited by Erling; 04-27-2017 at 08:44 AM. Reason: No +4 fo AoA (Determined) feints
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Physical Action maneuver

I dont think you need to change all these combat maneuvers to achieve "picking two items from a table at the same time", in fact, my opinion is that gurps is well served in terms of rules for arbitrating most situations.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
Varyon

This is somewhat similar to my Combat Posture system. I'd normally include a link but I'm posing from my phone - you can find it on my blog (link in sig), and it's currently the only content there.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Attack and Ready I can see merging. Feint is different: it has been repeatably stated that Feint relies on your opponent's speed as much as yours, and that it takes the full second, even with multiple attack actions or even ATR.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
Erling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Attack and Ready I can see merging. Feint is different: it has been repeatably stated that Feint relies on your opponent's speed as much as yours, and that it takes the full second, even with multiple attack actions or even ATR.
MA127 states the opposite: It’s “legal” but not terribly effective to attempt multiple feints against the same enemy in the space of a single maneuver. Only the most recent feint applies, even if it wasn’t the best one.

...thus, All-Out Attack (Feint) is no different from using All-Out Attack (Double) to feint and attack the same target.

e.g., a feint during a Rapid Strike is at -6.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Donny Brook

I think the same functionality can be obtained more conservatively by, instead of changing three or more manoeuvres, focus on elaborating Ready to the same level of detail and variability as Attack is.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
actions, basic set, combat, maneuvers