Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
Shalmaneser

Default Soul Stone and Drain Mana.

If a mage who has used Soul Stone to tuck his soul elsewhere is unlucky enough to be standing where someone casts Drain Mana, what happens?

Does he drop over dead permanently, dead until the mana level returns, dead if the soul stone is elsewhere but okay if it's there, just mortal until he's back out of the no-mana area?
Shalmaneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Soul Stone and Drain Mana.

As a player or GM, I'd be fine with the enchanter either drops over dead until the stone is no longer in the zone, or if the caster became mortal for the duration. Either interpretation seems to be a reasonable effect for the stone no longer being active. I'd expect the "correct" answer to depend on setting fluff about souls, and thematically dropping dead makes more sense, and is more dramatic.

I'd have a problem if anti-magic zones just killed the enchanter outright, that feels less resilient than other magic items, and soul stone is all about resilience.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmaneser View Post
If a mage who has used Soul Stone to tuck his soul elsewhere is unlucky enough to be standing where someone casts Drain Mana, what happens?

Does he drop over dead permanently, dead until the mana level returns, dead if the soul stone is elsewhere but okay if it's there, just mortal until he's back out of the no-mana area?
The question you ask is a good one, but in looking at what the spell description states - you have to ask yourself the following:

Does ANY of the benefits of the Soul Stone actively require mana? If you read carefully, the lifeforce is already transitioned between the caster's body to the object. The soul stone does not need to be anywhere near the body for its benefits to function. There is no limit to how far away the soul stone can be from the body - in other words, its effects do not wane in any way.

That implies then, that all of the benefits accrued to the spell recipient, come into being the moment the soul is deposited into a separate object.

The question to ask now is "are the effects of this transaction dependent upon mana such that if the BODY is in a no mana zone, will the body suddenly begin to age, or can be killed, or what?
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
Plane

a related question might be how mana affects the Soul Jar (M154) Enchantment too...

presumably the shift-to-jar won't happen in No Mana, but yeah as mentioned the soul is ALREADY in the stone, as opposed to being tied to but not in the jar until the death happens.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote