Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #351
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Isn't the plan already to be able to build a car from scratch? This seems to imply you get specific cards for each specific model.

Confused.....

You can, yes.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #352
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
From what I understand - and I may be wrong! - while different models of car will come with different cards representing their specific loadout, the game encourages you to mix-and-match for your own play style. They merely speed car construction and double-checking. "I've got one 3-point card, two 2's, and three 1's. Ten points. Let me see yours? Okay, four 2's and two 1's. Let's play!"
That was pretty much what I was getting at, even if I didn't get it across well. I saw Phil suggest somewhere that each "Car Pack" is going to have a different deck in it, and that got me thinking about whether or not it's going to be a pain in the neck to put together a "constructed car" tournament.

If my options are to spend $150 on a half-dozen copies of a bunch of different cars packs, spend a weekend sorting them out into identical decks, and putting all the duplicates in a box that end up forgotten until the dog knocks it off a shelf where it can crush my foot...or spending $150 on a "tournament pack" that has a few different car figures, six or eight 'generic' decks, a bunch of dice, and maybe a couple extra dashboards, that's a total no-brainer, I'll stump for the tournament kit.

Or maybe because I haven't played it I'm completely off-base about how the retail products will work.

The image running through my head is "Welcome to the ConventionCon 20XX Car Wars Tournament. This is a 'Constructed Car' event; in front of each of you is a dashboard, a deck containing all available car components, and a laminated sheet containing pre-generated cars if you would like some sort of jumping off point. You have [X] points and [Y] minutes to spend building your car; Time begins...now."
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
Old 03-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #353
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
I saw Phil suggest somewhere that each "Car Pack" is going to have a different deck in it, and that got me thinking about whether or not it's going to be a pain in the neck to put together a "constructed car" tournament.
You don't need every car miniature. Each pack includes a mini, dice, and cards.

The basic game has everything you need for four. The car minis offer more options.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #354
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
You don't need every car miniature. Each pack includes a mini, dice, and cards.

The basic game has everything you need for four. The car minis offer more options.
I will contend that 'need' there is entirely subjective, but will assume you're talking about 'in order to play the game' and not the 'full set' urge. ;)

Good to know about the retail packaging. Given what you know about card lists, just how misguided is the "Each player gets an identical deck to work from" tournament concept?
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Old 03-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #355
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
just how misguided is the "Each player gets an identical deck to work from" tournament concept?
Not misguided at all - dead easy, in fact.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 03-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #356
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Not misguided at all - dead easy, in fact.
Well then! In that case, I have one last problem: I keep throwing my credit card at the screen and all it does is bounce off. :P

Sounds like a silly over-reaction...and I am embellishing for comedic effect...but I've wanted to do "Build your own car" Car Wars events since I started doing Car Wars events at conventions. I think it's going to generate a lot more buzz than "here's a taste, because we can't get into the deep end during a 4-hour block".

Six months of planning/experimenting, three years of building, refining, rebuilding, and re-refining Tilkendröm has been done with this edition in the back of my mind, so...I'm a little wound up by that answer. :D
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Old 03-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #357
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Six months of planning/experimenting, three years of building, refining, rebuilding, and re-refining Tilkendröm has been done with this edition in the back of my mind, so...I'm a little wound up by that answer. :D
Let me elaborate a bit. The first time I played this version of Car Wars, I was handed the entire set of starting cards, given the (very few) restrictions on what could be done with them, and told my point budget. I had a car designed in about 90 seconds. Was it optimized? Not at all. Was it fun? Absolutely.

Admittedly, I'm rarely one to dither over choices, but even if I had carefully pondered every possible decision, I can't see it taking more than five minutes to build a basic car. At higher point totals, it will take longer, but that's just because you have more choices to make, not because it's inherently more difficult.

Moving and attacking are only slightly less intuitive than building the car was. The new "turning key" (I don't know if that's the final name for it) takes one or two times to learn to use and then it's just, "OK, I'm doing this, so I'll roll these dice to see if I lose control."

I'm really looking forward to seeing people's reactions at FnordCon.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 03-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #358
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Egad -- and I thought I was the only one who remembered *that* game.
HUGELY popular at schools and clubs in the UK 1985-89 , where it then lead into the Dark Future game .
We photocopied the vehicle sheets & created our own Cars & Bikes with Turrets , Weapons & items taken from other sheets & the ones printed in White Dwarf . Even from the infamous 'Battle Chairs' article - large armoured motorized Wheelchairs !! - , with their 4-Block Mini Machine Gun Turrets ! ;-)
My friend Chimpy was the Duel Master & a huge Mad Max/Car Wars/BattleCars fan . His model of a Ford Mustang with snowplow Ramplate & Zoid Guns weaponry was on display at his local GW Store (Hammersmith?) for years .
I still have some of the Car and building counters & have used photocopies of them in CW games fairly recently :-)
Old 03-20-2019, 05:50 AM   #359
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Given what you know about card lists, just how misguided is the "Each player gets an identical deck to work from" tournament concept?
I've never seen identical builds from players working from the basic deck in the core game.

Also: Let's idle before we race. When you start stressing over tournaments and "but what if?" before even playing the game, you'll generate false impressions that have no impact on the actual game. And after playing the game, forming "hows abouts?" isn't productive until there's enough demand for the game to justify more than we have in the works.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #360
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I believe the cards are a game play aid, not randomly drawn. If I remember correctly, you could theoretically have something like the old vehicle record sheets, as long as the points added up and all the information from the cards was included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I guess you COULD, but I have absolutely no idea why you would choose to do so when all the information you need is on the cards and dashboard and you can have those out during play. It would make checking your build (or your opponent's) a lot harder, too, as opposed to looking at cards and saying, "Wait, you can't have two of those on the same side."
I can think of a couple of reasons actually:

Larger battlefields, where players move around the table to be closer to where their figure is. Doing so with a bunch of cards is a lot harder and messier than a single sheet.

The other case would be to let people prebuild their vehicles before the game.

Neither of these are deal-breakers IMO, but the first one can definitely be a nuisance (I remember it being irritating moving around a two-mapsheet arena just trying to keep the old speed and handling markers in place, multiple cards might be worse).

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Closed Thread