Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
ShamgarMunchkin

Default Floating nose for the win

We ran into a scenario where everyone (six of us) were sitting at a level 9. I kicked in the door and encountered the floating nose. Another player (also 9) was an elf and had the Zombie curse and was forced to help me. There was several monster enhancers and wandering monsters added trying to prevent the win. My helper the elf then played the Halitosis potion instantly killing the floating nose allowing us to be powerful enough to win the combat. Then another player played the friendship potion removing all monsters. We argued that the card said "instantly kill" so we would get the level from the floating nose at least, thus giving us the victory. It was ruled by the GM that since it said "instantly kill the floating nose" that we won and the game was over in a tie with us both winning as my helper was an elf. However if the other player had not played the friendship potion we still would have had to clear the room respectfully following all cards or additional wandering monsters added. Was this the correct ruling?

technically I don't think matters because i successfully convinced everyone that the instant kill was a rule making it a rule. But my curiosity has led me here. haha
ShamgarMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Floating nose for the win

No, it was not the correct ruling. The rules say that unless you defeat all the Monsters in a combat, you do not receive any rewards. This could be overridden by a card, of course, but the card specifically must say that it overrides that rule. Friendship Potion is pretty specific about what happens after it is played and doesn't say you get any rewards from any Monsters you may have defeated before it was played.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
Gidoza

Wait...I don't understand. If it doesn't say anything about what happens to monsters before it was played, then why should one assume that it affects those?
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Because the card says that the combat is effectively over and you get to loot the room. It doesn't matter if you instantly defeated or killed any number of Monsters before Friendship Potion was played. The card overrides everything that happened before it was played.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 04-13-2014 at 11:00 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Gidoza

Ahhhhhhhh, I think I get it now. Not really obvious but it makes sense.
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elf, floating nose, friendly potion, halitosis, win