Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Missing items Wishlist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
How would you picture deployment working if you could start a game while your opponent is offline? I'm not sure it would be possible in the current framework given you need to be part of a shared lobby before advancing to deployment, and need an established defender and attacker.
Even if both players have to have accepted the game first, there's no reason they need to both be online for the first to deploy player to do their deployment (or for that player to still be online when the second player deploys) any more then they would need to both be online to take their turns.

I mean it could work like this:
  1. Bob tells the game he is open for invites and logs off.
  2. Alice logs in and the matchmaker pairs her with Bob.
  3. Bob gets a notification.
  4. The game generates a scenario. Alice is assigned the first-to-deploy side.
  5. Alice deploys and logs out.
  6. Bob gets a notification.
  7. Bob logs in and deploys. Then takes his first turn.
  8. Alice gets a notification.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #32
Yablonsky
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Default Re: Missing items Wishlist?

It's a turn based game. Opponent does not need to be there to deploy your units. When it comes to their turn, they'll see how you have deployed. Then they deploy...and so on. Pretty basic really.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
How would you picture deployment working if you could start a game while your opponent is offline? I'm not sure it would be possible in the current framework given you need to be part of a shared lobby before advancing to deployment, and need an established defender and attacker.

Thanks
Yablonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #33
Yablonsky
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Default Re: Missing items Wishlist?

Bingo!

This is what I want/need for Ogre. I've got one friend that plays in New Zealand and we have a hard connecting.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Even if both players have to have accepted the game first, there's no reason they need to both be online for the first to deploy player to do their deployment (or for that player to still be online when the second player deploys) any more then they would need to both be online to take their turns.

I mean it could work like this:
  1. Bob tells the game he is open for invites and logs off.
  2. Alice logs in and the matchmaker pairs her with Bob.
  3. Bob gets a notification.
  4. The game generates a scenario. Alice is assigned the first-to-deploy side.
  5. Alice deploys and logs out.
  6. Bob gets a notification.
  7. Bob logs in and deploys. Then takes his first turn.
  8. Alice gets a notification.
Yablonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #34
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: Missing items Wishlist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Heck, it's theoretically possible to have player 1 set up his forces first before even accepting an opponent, assuming the opponent is willing to accept playing the side that sets up second. I've done that at events where I have a defense set up and am just waiting for a player for the Ogre...
More than that, in Ogre, you could have a defensive setup made before starting matchmaking - and then it only gets used if you're designated as the defense.

Your defense setup could be kept on file so you don't need to redo it if you're matched as an attacker and don't get to use it.

(It's a bit more complicated as the game works since you're randomly placed in one of three different scenarios. You could of course have 3 different defense layouts on file...)
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #35
GranitePenguin
 
GranitePenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plainfield, IL
Default Re: Missing items Wishlist?

To be honest, I find the matchmaking play annoying. It randomly picks both the scenario and the side, and especially with only a handful of Ogre scenarios available, it's pretty unfulfilling. I much prefer being able to pick what scenario I'm going to play, and would at least like to see that.

I'm assuming the GEV scenarios would be added to it, which ironically would make it even less likely the game would pick the scenario I want to play. At least it would be more likely I might get a GEV scenario.

All in all, the matchmaking is the real weak link in the game right now.
__________________
GranitePenguin
MIB #2214
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #36
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Missing items Wishlist?

Which is unfortunate because after the campaign it really is the only thing worth doing (or would be if you anybody ever was on it).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #37
GranitePenguin
 
GranitePenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plainfield, IL
Default Re: Missing items Wishlist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Which is unfortunate because after the campaign it really is the only thing worth doing (or would be if you anybody ever was on it).
yeah, it's hard to tell if it's because people aren't on it, or it just isn't working well.
__________________
GranitePenguin
MIB #2214
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:14 AM   #38
GuyMacon
 
GuyMacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default Re: Missing items Wishlist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMacon View Post
Feature: Move stack, limited by the shortest movement unit in the stack.

Units: Light GEV, GEV-PC, Hovertruck. This would allow infantry to "get in the game" in a mostly-GEV hit and run scenario.

Terrain: Beach.
Also, 3-way road and train connectors like this would be nice:

-------------------------------
---------*-*-*-*-*-*-*---------
--------*------*------*--------
-------*-------*-------*-------
------*--------*--------*------
-----*--------*-*--------*-----
----*--------*---*--------*----
---*--------*-----*--------*---
----*-----*-*-*-*-*-*-----*----
-----*--*-------------*--*-----
------*-----------------*------
-------*---------------*-------
--------*-------------*--------
---------*-*-*-*-*-*-*---------
-------------------------------


Or maybe even a four-way like this:


-------------------------------
---------*-*-*-*-*-*-*---------
--------*------*------*--------
-------*-------*-------*-------
------*--------*--------*------
-----*--------*-*--------*-----
----*--------*-*-*--------*----
---*--------*--*--*--------*---
----*-----*----*----*-----*----
-----*--*------*------*--*-----
------**-------*-------**------
-------*-------*-------*-------
--------*------*------*--------
---------*-*-*-*-*-*-*---------
-------------------------------
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:50 AM   #39
AurochJake
Moderator
 
AurochJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bristol, UK
Default Re: Missing items Wishlist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMacon View Post
Also, 3-way road and train connectors like this would be nice:

-------------------------------
---------*-*-*-*-*-*-*---------
--------*------*------*--------
-------*-------*-------*-------
------*--------*--------*------
-----*--------*-*--------*-----
----*--------*---*--------*----
---*--------*-----*--------*---
----*-----*-*-*-*-*-*-----*----
-----*--*-------------*--*-----
------*-----------------*------
-------*---------------*-------
--------*-------------*--------
---------*-*-*-*-*-*-*---------
-------------------------------


Or maybe even a four-way like this:


-------------------------------
---------*-*-*-*-*-*-*---------
--------*------*------*--------
-------*-------*-------*-------
------*--------*--------*------
-----*--------*-*--------*-----
----*--------*-*-*--------*----
---*--------*--*--*--------*---
----*-----*----*----*-----*----
-----*--*------*------*--*-----
------**-------*-------**------
-------*-------*-------*-------
--------*------*------*--------
---------*-*-*-*-*-*-*---------
-------------------------------
The three-way road exists (without the roundabout in the middle) but I'm not sure there are any examples of the three-way rail in any existing scenarios, nor the four (three-pronged) road/rail. We've only used examples which are featured in the original game.

Not a bad suggestion though, I can put a request in :)

Thanks
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #40
GranitePenguin
 
GranitePenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plainfield, IL
Default Re: Missing items Wishlist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
We've only used examples which are featured in the original game.
...but not all the examples that are in the original game. To be fair, "all" is a somewhat nebulous term. What is your definition of all?

Even with that well defined, are you talking only examples that are on the maps, the overlays, etc?
__________________
GranitePenguin
MIB #2214
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.