Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #61
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Nordlond Sagas: Three new books for the DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
I'll admit I'm excited about this book. I will likely write about why in a blog post. But the content is prime, the art is great, and it's a lot of utility in a small package.

One of the things that we're definitely finding as we do these smaller books is that the excitement level from the writers for "not only do I want to write this, I want to USE this in my games!" is pretty high.

Kevin and I are already plotting the next book.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #62
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'll admit I'm excited about this book. I will likely write about why in a blog post. But the content is prime, the art is great, and it's a lot of utility in a small package.
This book is great, there is nothing in it I can't or won't use. In fact I'm already cribbing some things down for a Holy Warrior I'm playing...

The cover art is simply phenomenal, I love the oil painting style! The interior art, while not not "impressive", serves and fulfills its role perfectly and maintains a consistency throughout.

Quote:
Kevin and I are already plotting the next book.
Two thumbs up!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #63
Refplace

Quote:
I loved the preview, didn't spot any errors though one item was a bit confusing on first read. Great art (and art doesn't sell me on a book, but I do appreciate it) and each deity is well covered. I would love to see a Designers Notes on the abilities, most I figured out but a couple I'm really unsure on.
Now that I'm done reading the latest Power-Ups by Kromm I will reread it, make any edit comments I spot (if any) in the kickstarter?

For my setting I had no intention of using Norse gods but I am adding these to the setting. I have one minor quibble or suggestion if you can add it.
Give them domains or portfolios called directly out, this would work well with the Dungeon Fantasy line, specifically DF 5: Allies.
On a purely personal and selfish note that may also make importing to my setting that uses a different magic system easier.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #64
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I loved the preview, didn't spot any errors though one item was a bit confusing on first read. Great art (and art doesn't sell me on a book, but I do appreciate it) and each deity is well covered. I would love to see a Designers Notes on the abilities, most I figured out but a couple I'm really unsure on.
That'll be up to Kevin (he did all the heavy lifting there), but if he writes it, you'll find it on GB.

Quote:
Now that I'm done reading the latest Power-Ups by Kromm I will reread it, make any edit comments I spot (if any) in the kickstarter?
Best way to get me actionable feedback/proofing is 100% always email.

gamingballisticllc at gmail dot com

Quote:
For my setting I had no intention of using Norse gods but I am adding these to the setting. I have one minor quibble or suggestion if you can add it.
Give them domains or portfolios called directly out, this would work well with the Dungeon Fantasy line, specifically DF 5: Allies.
They sort of are, though? I mean, "God of Law?" "Magic, Love, and Transcendance?"

Some of them will be pretty clear, some might take some doing.

Lady of Life maps pretty directly, and Mischief is Chaos. The Allfather maps to Wisdom and War, the Lawgiver is Order and War, Death is, well, Death.

Beyond that, you will not-ever see call-outs directly to the main DF line in the licensed DFRPG products as they're published. First, that's opening a giant can of worms, and second it's not part of the license.

That being said . . . I could easily see mapping those to the DF5 domains in the same designer's notes blog post.

Quote:
On a purely personal and selfish note that may also make importing to my setting that uses a different magic system easier.
Understood: listing the gods by their domains as their titles is pretty much offering up the baton to be grabbed. It's one of the reasons I de-Norsed them to begin with. I mean, many settings have a god of storms, or thunder, or war, or the protector of mankind...and that is at least somewhat portable. Thor/Donnar . . . less so.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #65
Refplace

Quote:
Best way to get me actionable feedback/proofing is 100% always email.

gamingballisticllc at gmail dot com

Understood: listing the gods by their domains as their titles is pretty much offering up the baton to be grabbed. It's one of the reasons I de-Norsed them to begin with. I mean, many settings have a god of storms, or thunder, or war, or the protector of mankind...and that is at least somewhat portable. Thor/Donnar . . . less so.
Ok, sending you an email.
Yeah, that was my thought Divine Elements or portfolios can be inferred, but may not be very clear to all readers or balanced compared to others depending on readers interpretation. So my suggestion just helps it to be even more drop in ready, though it already is very good in that regard.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 11-23-2019, 05:14 AM   #66
b-dog

It would be useful for me to have the Norse name of the god in parentheses beside the generic name. Also holy symbols for each go would be useful too.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:03 AM   #67
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
It would be useful for me to have the Norse name of the god in parentheses beside the generic name. Also holy symbols for each go would be useful too.
My best guess without cracking a book.
Allfather is Odin
Goddess of Death is Hella
The Fates are the Norns, though thats actually kind of complicated as there are other norns.
Lawgiver is Tyr
Lady of Life is Freya, less sure on this one.
God of Mischief is Loki
Queen of the World is most likely Frigga
God of Thunder is Thor
Lord of Warding sounds most like Heimdall
God of Wind and Sea is a tough one but I think kind of fits Balder

So thats 3 I'm really not sure of
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 11-23-2019, 07:05 AM   #68
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
My best guess without cracking a book.
Allfather is Odin
Goddess of Death is Hella
The Fates are the Norns, though thats actually kind of complicated as there are other norns.
Lawgiver is Tyr
Lady of Life is Freya, less sure on this one.
God of Mischief is Loki
Queen of the World is most likely Frigga
God of Thunder is Thor
Lord of Warding sounds most like Heimdall
God of Wind and Sea is a tough one but I think kind of fits Balder

So thats 3 I'm really not sure of

Lady of life is Iduna

Wind and Sea is Njordr

Queen of the World is a combination of Frigga and Freya called Valfreya

And the Snow Queen is Skadi, who occasionally goes by Elsa because I have two daughters
Old 11-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #69
Refplace

Quote:
Lady of life is Iduna

Wind and Sea is Njordr

Queen of the World is a combination of Frigga and Freya called Valfreya

And the Snow Queen is Skadi, who occasionally goes by Elsa because I have two daughters
How could I not think of she of the Apples?! That explains the blessing.
I'd have to look up Njordr to refresh my memory. Valfreya makes sense Frigga and Freya were probably the same goddess at different stages of life.
Skadi, I barely remember, darn my Norse mythology is rusty.
Thank you.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 11-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #70
DouglasCole

Nordlondr Folk has been distributed by Backerkit.