Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2019, 02:04 AM   #1
Biscuri

Default Help with building a summonable "slime chimera"

An inventive player of my table came up with a concept of an slime summoner. He got a lot of different types of slime to achieve different effects. One of his summons consists on a so-called "slime chimera", by his description:

"Biochemists often possess only one, the basic concept of the slime chimera is being an artificial life a biochemist can call an work of art. Ranging from an abomination to a fantastic creature, a chimera is composed by many parts of beings this slime has consumed during its existence. We can sum up the slime chimera to a colossus prepared for combat.

A creature with tentacles, wings, gorilla arms and enormous build is possible, the chimera has no definite form and needs a joint of slimes to be created. On a joint, it acts as a "queen bee" and control all others, if it gets neutralized, the chimera is undone. For being an joint of slimes, it's power depends on the number of slimes used.

The slime chimera is not undestructible, but can be recovered and rebuilt with any part left, it's recovering and rebuild can take a long time."

For the concept of "consuming", I made a class of the lesser slimes have a Possession advantage with Parasite, Assimilation and No Memory Access, and the mandatory Interposition (meat), that way each slime can hold different abilities as they possess different enemies.

That being said, I have a few of questions on how to build the slime chimera:

I think he wants to summon the lesser, more numerous slimes, to add power and abilities to that big slime as he sees fit, the slimes must be physically "attached" to the joint and make it bigger as consequence. How can I do that?

How can I make so that when the chimera dies, the joint becomes undone?

Is there a way to make it unkillable unless every single part of it is vaporized?
Biscuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:24 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Help with building a summonable "slime chimera"

Could you explain a bit more what you mean by the word "joint" here? The usual English meanings don't quite make sense.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
Biscuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Could you explain a bit more what you mean by the word "joint" here? The usual English meanings don't quite make sense.
A conglomerate, I think.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
whswhs

In GURPS terms, this might be a "swarm" and you might want to look at the Body of Swarm traits in GURPS Horror or GURPS Template Toolkit 2.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Looks like it might have been auto-translated from another language which may be part of the problem. Also I'm wondering how we make the jump from slimes to gorilla arms and tentacles … are we looking at something like John Carpenter's Thing? In which case I think there's an off label version of that in circulation already...

Last edited by The Colonel; 11-30-2019 at 05:20 PM.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:39 PM   #6
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

A Slimera?

Sorry, I had to do this. It's all I could think about until I was able to get it rendered.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #7
Biscuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In GURPS terms, this might be a "swarm" and you might want to look at the Body of Swarm traits in GURPS Horror or GURPS Template Toolkit 2.
Ok, I can work with this, but I don't see there any way to make that the core body controls the other bodies, also I need to incorporate the lesser bodies abilities on the core body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Looks like it might have been auto-translated from another language which may be part of the problem. Also I'm wondering how we make the jump from slimes to gorilla arms and tentacles … are we looking at something like John Carpenter's Thing? In which case I think there's an off label version of that in circulation already...
Actually I wrote from scratch, my english is just that bad, lol.

Anyway, the point is that the slime is amorph, so it can take any form, given that it "learned" that form by absorbing it from another being. So if a lesser slime consumes a fire elemental, it would turn into a fire slime, then if a chimera contains that fire slime on it's composition it could use fire based attacks.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #8
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuri View Post
Actually I wrote from scratch, my english is just that bad, lol.

Anyway, the point is that the slime is amorph, so it can take any form, given that it "learned" that form by absorbing it from another being. So if a lesser slime consumes a fire elemental, it would turn into a fire slime, then if a chimera contains that fire slime on it's composition it could use fire based attacks.
Ah, okay - definitely sounding like the Thing then. Just can't remember what book has the off label version of it...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuri View Post
Ok, I can work with this, but I don't see there any way to make that the core body controls the other bodies, also I need to incorporate the lesser bodies abilities on the core body.
I'd say treat the lesser bodies as an Ally with Body of Swarm. Then give some abilities to the primary body with Provided by Ally as a modifier.

Quote:
There's a version of Morph that works like this. It may be in GURPS Powers. I think the modifier is Requires Sample.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:46 PM   #10
Biscuri

Quote:
I'd say treat the lesser bodies as an Ally with Body of Swarm. Then give some abilities to the primary body with Provided by Ally as a modifier.
That solves the problem of the conglomerate thing, thanks!

Quote:
There's a version of Morph that works like this. It may be in GURPS Powers. I think the modifier is Requires Sample.
I found the Needs Sample modifier, in that case, I would need to use de -50% so the slime need to eat the entire body of the victim, and I can keep the IQ to 1 to limit it to one form only.

The only problem is, Morph requires to assume the entire racial template, but in my case I need the fire slime to remain a slime, but in red color and spiting fire.

I thought of combining Retains Shape, Flawed, Improvised and Needs Sample, so it could take any traits from the sample, but can't change the slime appearance. Does it work that way?

Tags
ally, chimera, fantasy, slime, summon