Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Edges

Default [Powers] Help build a fog power

I'm looking to create a low-level super with fog related abilities. She needs to be able to create and eliminate fog on a large and small scale. But other interesting, fog-related abilities would be welcome too. Obviously, Obscure and Control (Weather, Fog Only) are a place to start.

Would anyone like to help me with some builds? I have around 80-120 points to spend on the power.

Thanks in advance.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: [Powers] Help build a fog power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
I'm looking to create a low-level super with fog related abilities. She needs to be able to create and eliminate fog on a large and small scale. But other interesting, fog-related abilities would be welcome too. Obviously, Obscure and Control (Weather, Fog Only) are a place to start.

Would anyone like to help me with some builds? I have around 80-120 points to spend on the power.

Thanks in advance.
Some such abilities were included in the Water and Metal abilities in Chinese Elemental Powers.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Gef

Control Weather (Fog Only) gets very expensive because you need the Natural Phenomenon enhancement. You may do better with just Obscure; the Area enhancement goes exponentially.

Obscure 5 (Radius 2048yd +550%) costs 65 points. Extend it to alternate form of vision for another 10 points.

Control Fog 15 (Natural Phenomenon +100%) costs 150 points, has the same effect on vision, and comparable area. Theoretically, it lets you do other things with fog - but what else can you do with fog that's worth the extra 85 points?

As a focus, fog seems pretty limiting, compared to say water or weather which would include it. Off the top of my head, I can see Walk on Air (fog only) and a smidgen of Create Water (Environmental). Beyond that, you have to start pushing the definition of controlling fog. Scalding attack with steam? Alternate Form (Body of Air)? Afflict Daze - because it's a mental fog?
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
munin

Concepts to expand the power rather than actual ability builds:

Solid fog: Fog coalesces to create attacks, illusions, objects, or even allies.

Cold fog: Temperature drops within the fog to create area cold attacks, ice slicks, etc.

Moving fog: movements of the fog to create knockback attacks, even telekinesis.

The fact is that once you have control over some matter over a reasonably wide area, you can justify abilities built from almost any physical advantage. Fog's connection to confusion can justify some mental advantages as well as physical advantages not covered by simple matter manipulation (e.g., confused about my location -> Warp).
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
Anders

Here's something from my Sorcery repertoire:

Mist
Keywords: Area (Leveled)
Full Cost: 18 points + 5 points/level
Casting Roll: IQ
Range: Self
Duration: 5 hours

This spell creates a thick mist that covers the entire area. All Vision rolls within the mist are at -5 and Night Vision does not help. This spell requires water in the terrain – it is useless in a desert, for instance.

Statistics: Obscure 5 (Vision; Environmental, -5%; Extended Duration, x300, +100%; Sorcery, -15%) [18]. Additional levels add Area Effect (+50% per level) [+5/level].
Old 09-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Control Fog 15 (Natural Phenomenon +100%) costs 150 points, has the same effect on vision, and comparable area. Theoretically, it lets you do other things with fog - but what else can you do with fog that's worth the extra 85 points?
This allows you to move and suppress fog, so that's a thing.

I'm not sure "Fog" is actually something that needs Natural Phenomenon; if you're happy with it occurring as a small-scale effect, it should be fine w/out that enhancement.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
This allows you to move and suppress fog, so that's a thing.

I'm not sure "Fog" is actually something that needs Natural Phenomenon; if you're happy with it occurring as a small-scale effect, it should be fine w/out that enhancement.
If you don't do it as Natural Phenomenon, it probably needs Collective. After all, it's not a gas, nor is it a continuous liquid; rather it's a lot of droplets of liquid suspended in the air.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
Leynok

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
If you don't do it as Natural Phenomenon, it probably needs Collective. After all, it's not a gas, nor is it a continuous liquid; rather it's a lot of droplets of liquid suspended in the air.
I don't think so, I wouldn't ask for that enhancement on a control smoke. Collective would let you get any fog clouds that are separated. What your controlling isn't just the water, it's the substance of air filled with water drops.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leynok View Post
I don't think so, I wouldn't ask for that enhancement on a control smoke. Collective would let you get any fog clouds that are separated. What your controlling isn't just the water, it's the substance of air filled with water drops.
Hmmm. Maybe. I see that "a heap of iron filings" is allowed for Control Metal, and that's probably a better analogy, being in the RAW.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Hmmm. Maybe. I see that "a heap of iron filings" is allowed for Control Metal, and that's probably a better analogy, being in the RAW.
"Earth" certainly isn't a single solid, but you aren't limited to moving one grain of mineral or one partially decomposed bit of organic matter. Or a grain of sand at a time.

But definitely if you want two different dirt piles or fog clouds or whatever, you want Collective.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote