Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
Gnomasz

Default [Incantation Magic] Frozen Bonds, or modifying Binding

Hi,
I've been trying to stat out other game's Black Tentacles and, looking at examples, I've found it odd that Frozen Bonds seems to get the Engulfing modifier for Binding pretty much for free. Is there a way to differentiate between a Constricting, Engulfing, Sticky, Suffocating, Unbreakable binding spell and a measly normal but One-Shot one?

Also, would you use a Constricting Binding at all, or would you just add Damage to it?

So far I've got Create Arcanum (6), Area Effect 4 (40), Duration 10s (1), Bombardment 12 limitation* (-2), Range 50 (8). Subject Weight up to 1000 lbs. (4)
*) I've given up on creating separate tentacles

Anything you'd do differently? I'm really not sure about the damaging part, I really like the constriction, but I guess Damage might be the intended way.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [Incantation Magic] Frozen Bonds, or modifying Binding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
Hi,
I've been trying to stat out other game's Black Tentacles and, looking at examples, I've found it odd that Frozen Bonds seems to get the Engulfing modifier for Binding pretty much for free. Is there a way to differentiate between a Constricting, Engulfing, Sticky, Suffocating, Unbreakable binding spell and a measly normal but One-Shot one?
You get one of those. If it causes FP or HP loss, add Damage (but not another effect, this is part of the original one) to represent the damage.

Quote:
Also, would you use a Constricting Binding at all, or would you just add Damage to it?
You'd add Damage to it with the Margin-Based effect (see p. 7, Pyramid #3/114: Mind Over Magic).

Quote:
So far I've got Create Arcanum (6), Area Effect 4 (40), Duration 10s (1), Bombardment 12 limitation* (-2), Range 50 (8). Subject Weight up to 1000 lbs. (4)
*) I've given up on creating separate tentacles
Bombardment is actually a good way of representing it. Personally, I'd use RoF + Cosmic, RoF Melee (+100%) to pull it off. That way each time you attack a number of tentacles grab the target equal to the margin of success of the attack

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote