Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:16 PM   #51
brettd

Default Re: New G.E.V. Edition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
Oh, gosh, all the game stores I played at when I was young are long gone. I'm fairly sure the owners are long gone too, unfortunately. I bought GEV (along with a bazillion other games and miniatures, some of which I still have) at The War Club up in La Canada, California. And I spent many weekends, probably a significant fraction of my teenage years, playing games at The Last Grenadier in Burbank.
You're not going to believe this, but the guy who lives near Old Orchard used to frequently visit his Aunt in Van Nuys, who lived about a mile away from The Last Grenadier...

Don't suppose anyone remembers "The Command Post" in San Diego?
brettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #52
brettd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I don't recall when it closed, maybe 1981 or 1982? I know it was gone when I moved back here from California in August of 1983.

For Brettd, since no one else is around, the shop was located at about 8141 Big Bend --either where the "Dvin" restaurant is now, or maybe the pottery place?
Drive by it every day on my way to work... That is, I don't drive by the game shop, which I can confirm wasn't there since at least the mid 1990's. I only got to StL in 1991.
brettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #53
mstlaurent

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettd View Post
You're not going to believe this, but the guy who lives near Old Orchard used to frequently visit his Aunt in Van Nuys, who lived about a mile away from The Last Grenadier...

The world is a much smaller place than we all imagine it to be.

Sorry, never got down to San Diego for gaming, other than a couple of trips to Comic Con back in the 90s.
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #54
Mack_JB

Small world indeed. Oddly enough, I lived in San Marcos (just west of Escondido) in 1982-83 that I referenced above -- and I do remember 'The Command Post', but I was only in it once so it is hazy. At that time I was working on model railroad kits, so those shops got the bulk of my visits.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #55
brionl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettd View Post

I'm pretty sure that's the one I used to go to when I was at the US Navy base in San Diego. I didn't have a car then, so it was about a 90 minute bus ride each way.
brionl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #56
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
That could be a possibility as well. It would be a good way for them to test the waters.

That's exactly where I bought one. There's a bunch still up there, including the guy I bought mine from, apparently he had more than one copy.
There is some guy in the Chicago area that closed down his FLGS and claims to still have over 100 ODE retail sets in a warehouse. Met him on line a few months back but I wish I could remember his name
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #57
Buzzardo

I'm pretty sure that's someone here on the forums, because I remember someone mentioning that here.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #58
mstlaurent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
I'm pretty sure that's someone here on the forums, because I remember someone mentioning that here.
He was here in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfalia View Post
If you think one is big, imagine how getting 100 was.. If anyone is in central Illinois and wants one for retail, drop me a line..but you gotta pick it up..;-)

And don't forget that Flatcon is this weekend in Bloomington/Normal!

Note: 100 makes a great fort, just don't step on em..hehe
Old 12-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #59
mstlaurent

Quote:
So, I'm an Ogre Fan from way back. It was actually the first wargame I every played, I bought a copy of the Metagaming edition from an ad in Galaxy magazine back in 1977. But I got out of wargaming in general after I got married, my wife is more into German-style board games. I only heard about the Ogre Kickstarter after it was all over, still kicking myself over that.

Over the last couple of years my kids have really gotten into games, and a couple of months ago I introduced them to Ogre through my old copy of Ogre/G.E.V. in the VCR box that was rattling around in the game cupboard. (Which has Shockwave, Battlefields, and Reinforcements in it as well. Like I said, I'm a fan from way back.) So now it has turned into my oldest's favorite game, we're playing it all the time. I know he would go bananas for one of the new mega editions, and Christmas is coming up.

Which, to make a long story tedious, brings me to my question: Will there be a corresponding new edition of G.E.V. to match Ogre 6th Edition? If not, I will probably buy a copy of Ogre DE off of Amazon and give it to my son for Christmas. They aren't cheap, but they can be had. If there will be one, then I will hold off, buy a copy of Ogre 6th and give it to him for his birthday in April and then buy him a copy of the new G.E.V. edition when it becomes available in the future. Much cheaper, and I get two presents out of his obsession instead of one.

So, anyone on SJ staff want to offer up some prognostication to help Dad make some gift decisions?
So the (obviously wrapped) copy of ODE went under the tree last night. It was thoroughly examined by my son this morning. He is completely stumped. My wife and I told him it was a giant box full of socks and underwear. This is going to be so awesome. :-D
Old 12-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #60
schoon

Quote:
So the (obviously wrapped) copy of ODE went under the tree last night. It was thoroughly examined by my son this morning. He is completely stumped. My wife and I told him it was a giant box full of socks and underwear. This is going to be so awesome. :-D
Well played, Sir!
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote