Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-26-2016, 04:23 PM   #1
faitfull

Default Need some help to my Dwarf defender (fantasy tl3/4)

Hi

I am currently playing the dwarf Torwall Hammersmith, a good natured fellow. Excellent smith that have gotten into adventuring. He likes to defend his fellow allies and therefore the group frontline tank.

I have a few questions, I hope people can help me with, so I can become the best pie eating dwarf I can become.

1) I use a large shield and a throwing axe that I use to attack and defend my allies with given parry and block(defensive attacks and shieldwall training)
Is there ways to make the enemy attack me instead of my allies, or control the battlefield in ways to will make me be the target instead?
I am currently getting a little fasttalk to attempt taunts in case the enemy have bad temper... but need something better, someting else?

2) It is likely that we soon are going to face on undeads, and therefore hammers, maces and such are nice weapons. If I make myself a axe, that also have a hammer head, do I still get bonus from my weapon master in axe? have it at 25 points with bonus to my throwing axe and large shield.

3) any other ways to branch into or general tips on what to do... doing a little strategy, tactics and leadership right now...

my stats:
ST 15
DX 13
IQ 11
HT 13
faitfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
(E)

Default Re: Need some help to my Dwarf defender (fantasy tl3/4)

Tactics may be a useful skill in predicting where an opponent intends to go, useful for positioning your fighter for defense.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
mlangsdorf

DF2: Dungeons and Action: Exploits suggest using Psychology to provoke foes to attack you and Intimidation to force foes to step away from you (so you can move between them and your allies). GURPS doesn't really have many ways to force other people to attack or not attack someone.

You should also look into getting Sacrificial Parry. It gives you another way to defend your allies.

I wouldn't give a 25 point Weapon Master the bonus with hammers. Upgrade to the 30 point version and call it all "Dwarven weapons" and that'd be good.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Railstar

In my experience, Reach - particularly flexible Reach of the kind greatswords have - is wonderful for protecting more vulnerable party members. It means they have to move that much further around you, and the party with be protected by you while still having a little more freedom to move.

The main issue is facing - anyone who charges past you to engage the squishies is exposing their back to you. Remember you can Step and change facing, and a Reach 2 weapon means they'll need to get at least 4 yards behind you to avoid being blindsided.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
RyanW

Find a spot that the enemy has to pass to get to your allies. Stand in that spot. Wait.

Make yourself a threat. Make the enemy choose between "attack the dwarf" or "get killed by the dwarf you chose to ignore." Avoid going so far as to make enemies choose a third option of hitting the squishies and running away before the dwarf can react.

Make the enemy want to attack you by personally threatening their objective (which might be gaining honor, getting to a particular place, or protecting the guy with the checkbook). This usually means having some way to figure out their objective, like Tactics, or maybe Psychology. To be a good tank, it pays to be a smart tank.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
(E)

If you have Axe throwing invest in "Fast draw (axe)" a thrown axe is a great short range ranged missile attack.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #7
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by faitfull View Post
3) any other ways to branch into or general tips on what to do...
Sell your group on using Martial Arts: Technical Grappling.

For Axe/Mace, but up Hook technique.
For Shield, but Shoves and Tackles perk.

Hook the leg, then shove with the shield. Even against foes with higher size mod than you, this can put them down, because a grapple on the legs is doubly effective in conjunction with destabilizing attack. (The rule from Technical Grappling: You get "control points" for the hook, probably on the order of 3, and when you spend them to knock the guy down with your shield, they count double, for +6.)

PS: For number 1, taunting is a good way to go. However, you might also wear bloody bandages, to give the impression that you can be taken down easily. Skill in Performance (Physical Comedy) could help you sell it.

Last edited by Gef; 09-26-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:00 AM   #8
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
If you have Axe throwing invest in "Fast draw (axe)" a thrown axe is a great short range ranged missile attack.
Not allowed, by the book. I haven't seen even DF make an exception, but your GM might.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:43 AM   #9
Tomsdad

Quote:
Hi

I am currently playing the dwarf Torwall Hammersmith, a good natured fellow. Excellent smith that have gotten into adventuring. He likes to defend his fellow allies and therefore the group frontline tank.

I have a few questions, I hope people can help me with, so I can become the best pie eating dwarf I can become.

1) I use a large shield and a throwing axe that I use to attack and defend my allies with given parry and block(defensive attacks and shieldwall training)
Is there ways to make the enemy attack me instead of my allies, or control the battlefield in ways to will make me be the target instead?
I am currently getting a little fasttalk to attempt taunts in case the enemy have bad temper... but need something better, someting else?
Other than positioning as others have said, I'd say shield rushes. It allows you to move about the area quickly and still effect your opponents while maintaining defences. You can engage directly which will also focus opponents on you, you do it based off your shield skill which works well with being a tank with high defences. Even if they dodge and you go past them, they still have to turn around to deal with you which will disrupt their formation and have them concentrate on you (so therefore not your mates). If they don't they have dwarven tank at their backs.

Or if shield rushes aren't going to work in situations and you are all formed up go with the teamwork perk for you and those who fight in formation with you.

I'd also recommend set up attacks from Pyramid 3-52 you set them up and your mates knock down while you protect them.

Quote:
2) It is likely that we soon are going to face on undeads, and therefore hammers, maces and such are nice weapons. If I make myself a axe, that also have a hammer head, do I still get bonus from my weapon master in axe? have it at 25 points with bonus to my throwing axe and large shield.
Given it's the same weapon and same skill I'd say yes, but I wouldn't let you pick up any old hammer and do it just to make the point (worst case scenario make it 30pts for "traditional dwarven weapons")

Quote:
3) any other ways to branch into or general tips on what to do... doing a little strategy, tactics and leadership right now...

my stats:
ST 15
DX 13
IQ 11
HT 13
As has been suggested see if you can get your group to go with Technical Grappling. You can employ armed grappling with a hooked axe blade. Or if not just use hook technique from Martial Arts. An opponent on their knees or even just hooked is less of a threat to your friends and likely sooner dealt with.

Your going to have better than average* speed and Basic Mv so that will help with shield rushes

Just on an ordinary move and attack you'll be rolling 1d+2 damage with a DB3 shield on which against say a 12HP orc standing still (who'll be doing back 1d-1) its likely they'll get knocked over without even a DX roll

You have some good grappling stats there if you do go for TG, but your shield will get in the way if you can't drop it.

*well OK thats setting dependent

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-28-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:47 AM   #10
khorboth

As a final defense, look at sacrificial dodge on B375. You probably have better armor, so it's worth jumping in front of attacks if it comes to it. I have allowed 2 levels of enhanced dodge at -20% for "sacrificial only" in DF, but that's a GM call.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote