Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #11
Magesmiley

Default Re: Starter Car (for OrcaCon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
I always like handouts in the new games I play so I feel more involved instead of having the GM do all the work.

Sounds like it will be a good time.
All of the players get a clipboard with their car sheet, another sheet with a rules summary, a speed and handling tracker (the ones I brought to GenCon), and two markers (one for firing, one for speed change), plus a pencil.

There's also a large speed chart, control table, and targeting modifier chart that's visible from the play area.

My work as GM is mostly consists of calling out who moves, resolving crash table results and collisions, and calling out to hit roll numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Sounds like it will be a good time.
I think it will be. I've got 13 preregistered with a couple of days to go still. On game day it's usually about half full with preregistrations and the other players are walk-ins - 13 is only a few shy of half-full. For comparison, the Catan National Qualifier (which includes a trip to Origins for the winner) has 4 prereqistered players.

I'm hoping that Michael Owen makes it to the convention - he tweated live coverage of the final for the event I did at Dragonflight on his Car Combat Central Twitter account. Hopefully he will do so again (the final is 7 PST on Saturday). Also keep an eye on the Geeks of Cascadia podcast - I believe they're going to do interviews with the final round players again (they've been doing one before the game with each player and a second as each player gets knocked out of the final).

I'll post a follow up after the convention.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
owenmp

Car Combat Central on Twitter (@carcombat) will have live tweets of the OrcaCon Car Wars Tournament Final Round starting at 7:00:PM Pacific this evening.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #13
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Bellevue, Washington this year. (About a 20 minute drive east of Seattle.) The event is listed in the MiB Demo Events board.

The folks at OrcaCon have been very supportive of the Car Wars tournament I might add - it had a large table right by the main ballroom entrance all day on Saturday last year, and it looks like it'll get the same this year too.

But this thread is mainly about feedback and suggestions for the design I'm using. :)
Very tempted to go, but I need to lose weight. Post the tourney results here if you can. I'm very interested.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #14
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Very tempted to go, but I need to lose weight. Post the tourney results here if you can. I'm very interested.
Too bad you didn't make it.

I'm still gathering up pictures and whatnot, but here are some initial crunchy numbers:

28 of the 32 tournament seats were filled (with 24 unique players and 4 seats taken by non-advancing players from earlier rounds that wanted to play again), plus the 8-player final game. The game averaged 2-3 spectators just standing and watching on a nearly constant basis, usually for 5-10 minutes each.

The convention had around 1200 attendees from the organizers' early estimates, so about 2% of the attendees played Car Wars for a couple of hours (the number stopping to watch is much higher).

Also, for comparison, the Catan National Qualifier (which included a trip to Origins for the victor) being held at the same time garnered 17 players.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #15
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

So rad. I can't wait for the new version to gather even more players!
josephrey is offline   Reply With Quote