Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
tbeard1999

Default Hold Fire in Ogre/GEV

I have very few criticisms of Ogre/GEV. They have to be ranked as nearly perfect tactical wargames - engaging, fast playing, simple and elegant. There is, however, one very minor complaint - no opportunity or overwatch mechanic. This is not a big problem, since (a) the movement allowances and ranges are small; and (b) line of sight isn't required (which avoids the panzerbush problem). However, there are some odd situations that can develop, particularly with GEVs. These problems generally occur more when playing games with non-Ogres on both sides.

Examples:

1. GEV is 6 hexes away from light tank. It moves 4 hexes closer and shoots at the light tank. It then moves 3 hexes back. The light tank can't shoot back unless it moves 3 hexes closer. And if the terrain won't cooperate, the light tank won't be able to get within range of the GEV.

2. Enemy GEV on water hex ends its movement 3 hexes from friendly light tank. Friendly light tank is occupying a key piece of terrain. At this point, friendly light tank is well out of range. Water prevents it from closing the distance. On the next turn, enemy GEV moves 2 hexes and attacks friendly light tank.

3. Enemy light tank ends movement 5 hexes from friendly light tank. Friendly light tank is occupying a key piece of terrain. At this point, friendly light tank is well out of range. On the next turn, enemy light moves 3 hexes and attacks friendly light tank. Friendly light tank could only avoid this if it gave up its position and moved towards (or away from) the enemy light tank.

Despite being in position and waiting for the enemy, each of the non-moving tanks either had to give up their position or let the enemy shoot first.

While this gives Ogre/GEV a certain chess-like quality, it's wholly artificial. In my own Fistful of TOWs 3 rules, I have two solutions to the problem:

The first is Overwatch. If a stand does not move and is eligible to fire, it can take an Overwatch marker instead of firing. This allows it to fire before, during or immediately after the enemy's next movement phase. If the overwatch stand fires before or after the enemy movement phase, the attack is handled normally. If it fires during the enemy movement phase, a negative modifier is applied. (This discourages players from slowing the game down by taking gratuitous Overwatch shots while the enemy is moving).

The second is Hold Fire. If a stand does move and is eligible to fire it can take a Hold Fire marker instead of firing. This allows it to fire during the enemy fire phase, with results being applied simultaneously. In Ogre/GEV, the best approach would be to conduct all Hold Fire, then let the phasing player fire and apply results. Then apply the Hold Fire results.

I don't think that Ogre/GEV would benefit much from the Overwatch rule. As noted, there is no line of sight issue and Overwatch mostly addresses "panzerbushing".

However, the Hold Fire rule might be worth trying. In the above examples, the attacking unit would still get to fire, but it would be potentially vulnerable to counterattack without the enemy having to give up its position. You could come close to a true overwatch mechanic by letting the non-moving stands fire fire first and immediately apply the results. But I wouldn't do that. I'd like to encourage aggressive play.

Just a thought.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 01-12-2018 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Additional Comment
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote