Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #21
jason taylor

Default Re: The One Ring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
But is it region free? And does it come with cool commentaries and "Making of..." features?

I don't know. I do know it has no warning from the FBI. Just a warning from Gandalf.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #22
Akahige
Banned

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it gives Invisibility to anybody. That's why I asked if it would grant powers limited to one's Talents. In the case of Hobbits, which tend to be overlooked by others, I think the Ring might just amplify that 'theme' by making them truly invisible.

Likewise, I supect that Gandalf would receive a boost in his innate magical abilities, Galadriel would become unbearably beautiful and charismatic, et cetera, all according to their own personal, racial, or social themes.
Akahige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #23
rogersd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor
I don't know. I do know it has no warning from the FBI. Just a warning from Gandalf.
What about the MPAA? Did they release their rights? Sauron better watch out litigation is on the horizon.

What about something highlighting the Ring's desire to return to Sauron? They speak of this several times in the book, and movie? Is there a means to display the will of the ring to make its return to its master?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #24
Akahige
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersd
Is there a means to display the will of the ring to make its return to its master?
Perhaps that's just part of Unwilling Ally. If the Ring adds Luck in addition to whatever else it does, that might allow it to pervert circumstances to quicken its return to Sauron.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #25
Akahige
Banned

Ally (150% power; available constantly; Special Abilities, +50%; Unwilling, -50%) [40].

I'm surprised at how puny it looks, but I guess that's the typical reaction to the One Ring anyway. ;D

I'm not 100% comfortable with statting the Ring as an Ally, since the Ring itself would probably have a set point value, but that is certainly the easiest way to write it up, mechanics-wise. On the other hand, if you view the ring as a magical tool instead of a character, then, yes, I can see how it's usefulness could be effectively without limit.

P.S.: If the Ring isn't sentient, then the Ally power could be raised far beyond 150%.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #26
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahige
In the case of Hobbits, which tend to be overlooked by others, I think the Ring might just amplify that 'theme' by making them truly invisible.
Actually, what the Ring did to make you invisible was to shift your body slightly into the spirit world, or "wraith world". Some beings, like elves who had been to the Blessed Realm, and almost certainly Gandalf and other wizards, already existed in both realms equally, so the Ring would probably not have its invisibility effect on them. It also might not work on Dwarves, since Dwarves were naturally immune to being made into wraiths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahige
Likewise, I supect that Gandalf would receive a boost in his innate magical abilities, Galadriel would become unbearably beautiful and charismatic, et cetera, all according to their own personal, racial, or social themes.
Actually, according to Tolkien, what the ring was actually doing was allowing the bearer to concentrate and more effectively use the "Morgoth element" in the world - that is, the power of evil that Morgoth, the Satan figure of the stories (and Sauron's old boss) had put into the world. The more powerful the wearer, the more power they could get from the Ring, because they could control the Morgoth element better.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #27
David Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
I've often wondered about the same thing. The Ring didn't make Bombadil invisible. However, it did make Isildur invisible at the Battle of the Gladden Fields, and inconspicuousness was hardly his strong suit.
The Ring didn't make Sauron invisible either and there's a reason for that. The ring's "invisibility" actually consists of shifting you part of the way into a kind of spiritual plane or shadow world. That's why when Frodo donned it, it didn't hide him at all from the wraiths but instead let them see him clearly and vice versa. They primarily live in the shadow world. If one of them were to don the ring it would return them to a physical body, dewraithing them. Sauron and Bombadil on the other hand were both fully present in the physical and spiritual senses.

Of course it wouldn't have any reaction to Magery, because there is no such thing as Magery in Middle Earth. "Magic" in TLOTR is the function of innate divinely sourced gifts, and gadgets. Both are most appropriately designed with powers. The Ring for example is a repository of much of Sauron's "divine essence". He put his power into the ring because it was only thus that he could avoid the ongoing decline of his point total (which was of course part of the ongoing decline of the world as a whole).

So if you were a big cheese, what could you do with the Ring? Well the first thing you could probably do is Telecommunication with any of the wearers of the lesser rings and domination of the ones with a Will inferior to yours. This works best on humans and ringwraiths of course. It would probably boost your already considerable reaction bonuses from appearance, charisma and Voice especially versus any of the critters of darkness. (Thus for example Frodo could considerably multiply his reaction bonus versus Gollum).
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #28
Akahige
Banned

I guess a question that really needs to be asked (at least for me) is: How many of these explanations were spelled-out by Tolkien in his works and/or interviews, and how many are based on his posthumously-edited material, and assumptions made by people over the years?

There's nothing wrong with things like the "Morgoth power" concept, but it'd be nice no know for certain that's what Tolkien intended -- without having to earn a doctorate in his works.

Another thing that I question is why, if Tolkien's world is so clear-cut and easily understood (and I don't mean to be facetious), there isn't already an extensive and authoratative fan-written adaptation for GURPS that the community can turn to as being perfect for the job.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #29
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston
Of course it wouldn't have any reaction to Magery, because there is no such thing as Magery in Middle Earth. "Magic" in TLOTR is the function of innate divinely sourced gifts, and gadgets. Both are most appropriately designed with powers.
Going a bit off topic here, but this brings up an idea I had for modeling the elven gifts in LOTR. As Tolkien describes it
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. R. R. Tolkien
Their (The elves') 'magic' is Art, delivered from many of its human limitations: more effortless, more quick, more complete (product, and vision in unflawed correspondence). And its object is Art not Power ...
This description reminds me of no other advantage more strongly than Gadgeteer. The elves, then, would all be magical gadgeteers, and follow those rules for the creation of wonderous items. The main exception is that magical gadgeteers can't use production lines (but then, they can make wonderous gadgets using magic without paying the penalty for increasing TL, so it sort of ballances out).

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #30
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
But is it region free? And does it come with cool commentaries and "Making of..." features?
nah. it'd be like the american DVD of Ginger Snaps. Play Trailer / Play Movie. NO Scene Selections even.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote