Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2020, 07:21 AM   #121
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Blog: Worlds Beyond Earth

Pile of Dice for Gurps

I've seen a lot of schemes for rolling a many rolls all at once, and any schemes for making it simpler. I've come to a simple conclusion. Just use a computer.

And to make using a computer easier for every one, I present the Pile of Dice for Gurps. This rolls large numbers of dice at once, counts the successes, and in the case of 3d6 rolling under a target, counts the critical failures and success for Gurps.

So if you every want to roll for 5,000 archers shooting at targets... Now you can do it in the blink of an eye, including critical. I hope you find the tool useful. Enjoy your games!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #122
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I've come to a simple conclusion. Just use a computer.
Thanks for this, it will be useful.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:02 AM   #123
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Alternate Parrying of Heavy Weapons

A while back I was playing out a sample combat to see how some mystically-powered knights fared against the massive beasts their order was founded to combat. The knight's parry against their attacks was extraordinarily effective, even against slams of massive ST20 monsters and the bites of ST50 monsters.

So I've come up with a new parry system. Its been stewing for a while, but I'm releasing it now. I hope you find it useful.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 11-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #124
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Robots as Spaceships: Armor Options

Here I present some tools and options for making spaceships armor work more smoothly, mostly in preparation for building robots with it. I describe the following options:
  • Deflection Boost: A minor improvement to existing armor based on the assumption that most shots hit at a bad angle
  • Uncheap Armor: spaceships steel armor works out well if you assume its mass-produced cheap stuff. This lets you treat it as though its been carefully engineered
  • Simple Armor Facing: A rule of thumb for quickly armoring complex vehicles
  • Awesome Future Armor: Armor adjusted for futures in which mecha, suits, and spaceships can shrug off heavy fire and keep going.
These are presented as options and switches, so a campaign can tweak armor to fit the setting. I hope you find it useful!

Old 11-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #125
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The Mechanical Horse: The Broken Clockwork World

A big element of the Broken Clockwork world is its steampunk robots. One line in the PDF makes reference to soldiers on mechanical mounts or horses with gas masks. These have caught my imagination, and the image of troop of soldiers on steeds of iron is an awesome one. I've built one so that you can have them too.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #126
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

More Mechanical Horses

When building things with a system, the first thing you build is nice, but its all the ways you can tweak it that are really exciting. First we look at different ways to change the horse up using spaceships, and then we look at some cool tools that Action 6: Tricked-Out-Rides gives these mechanical steeds.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #127
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Starship Crew and the BAT

I love action 4, because it lets me build characters quickly. I'm always looking to expand it to cover more genres. When I saw the multi-role templates in Template Toolkits: Starship Crew, I knew that they could work as BAT packages. Mostly. Here I outline how to convert them into 25-point packages.

Though you really should use them as 30 point packages.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #128
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Robot Brains: The Limits of Purchased Skills

One thing that can make AI hard to work with, and a question I see come up in Gurps periodically, is how to buy AI skills. Its a sticky question, and this is part of my attempt to address it. Before we talk about how to buy robot skills, we'll talk about what robot skills you shouldn't be able to buy.

I hope this gives you some solid food for thought!

Old 02-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #129
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Robot Brains: Skills as Software

So once you've established under what conditions skills for AI can be purchased, You need an actual pricing scheme. Here I present two, one based on a conversion of Gurps 3e, and one representing what I personally use.

I hope you find this material useful!

Old 03-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #130
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Robot Brains: The Skill Budget Model

Often when discussing AI and skills, we go into how much you pay for a given skill. But that may be shooting past the mark. Sometimes its best to just treat an AI as any other NPC.

Tags
blog, blogs