Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2020, 12:51 AM   #931
Rupert

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Using Libre Office the latest version (RC29) throws VBA errors like crazy and doesn't function. As I know nothing of how to fix such things, I left it at that.

The Open Office version (actually RC11, not RC9) was showing more normal errors in some cells, but wasn't yelling about VBA errors in the macros, so it might work with some fiddling.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:39 AM   #932
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

I haven't worked on the OpenOffice version in a long while. When I did it worked fine in the much older version 3.3.0 of OpenOffice. Unfortunately, neither LibreOffice nor OpenOffice support VBA macro scripts, so the Excel version doesn't work at all in either suite. There are also various other errors which would need to be tracked down just to get the Excel version to work in LibreOffice (it often times doesn't like a particular formula I've used, which then causes a cascade of errors through the sheet). I've kind of given up on cross compatibility, though someday maybe I'll try to get it working again.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:16 AM   #933
DaltonS

After a long hiatus (long enough I had to upgrade my spreadsheet to RC29) I decided to while away my copious spare time (just retired so "social isolation" is easy) by using the spreadsheet to recreate the Avro Arrow. Unfortunately after adding the systems required by the design specs I'm left with half the system slots unused. Problem is it has to be SM+5 for the loaded mass and TL7 to use Light Alloy armor (it definitely wasn't steel) and Afterburning Turbofans (which have to be small systems* to get the right thrust) but the airplane itself was actually designed and built in the 1950s before the project was cancelled in 1959 (damn Diefenbaker). This plane was way ahead of its time; is there a way to designate it as a TL6 prototype with larger systems?

Dalton “trying to think up projects to pass the time” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #934
davester65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
is there a way to designate it as a TL6 prototype with larger systems?
A far as using higher TL systems one of the check boxes allows you to not have systems be filtered by TL. It's along the top just below the refresh rows button. That should allow you to use light alloy. Of course if you have a lot of extra slots you could just use steel anyways, just use more of it.
davester65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #935
Rupert

Quote:
After a long hiatus (long enough I had to upgrade my spreadsheet to RC29) I decided to while away my copious spare time (just retired so "social isolation" is easy) by using the spreadsheet to recreate the Avro Arrow. Unfortunately after adding the systems required by the design specs I'm left with half the system slots unused. Problem is it has to be SM+5 for the loaded mass and TL7 to use Light Alloy armor (it definitely wasn't steel) and Afterburning Turbofans (which have to be small systems* to get the right thrust) but the airplane itself was actually designed and built in the 1950s before the project was cancelled in 1959 (damn Diefenbaker). This plane was way ahead of its time; is there a way to designate it as a TL6 prototype with larger systems?
Well, as something designed in the 50s it's a TL7 thing by time-frame. Part of the problem is probably that jet engines in Spaceships are too efficient, both in power/weight and in fuel consumption.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:06 AM   #936
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Well, as something designed in the 50s it's a TL7 thing by time-frame. Part of the problem is probably that jet engines in Spaceships are too efficient, both in power/weight and in fuel consumption.
So my best bet would be creating a new prototype afterburning jet engine as a user system? How should I go about that and what kind of fuel consumption should it realistically have?

Dalton “Looking for other realistic user systems” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #937
trux

Hello DaltonS,

My suggestion would be to dig through the internet looking for material on jet engine fuel consumption. Here is one link I've checked out https://www.sherpareport.com/aircraf...-aircraft.html

Quote:
So my best bet would be creating a new prototype afterburning jet engine as a user system? How should I go about that and what kind of fuel consumption should it realistically have?

Old 04-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #938
Rupert

Quote:

Wikipedia's pages on various jet engines show weight, thrust, and often fuel consumption (usually in pounds of fuel per hour per pound of thrust). IF you want an accurate engine for a particular aeroplane, try looking up its engine. If the stats aren't there, I'd use a average from several engines of the same type and roughly the same time.

I wouldn't worry about getting precise details of afterburner vs normal ('day') performance unless that's something that really matters to you - just use the afterburner rules in Spaceships 7 and extend them to turbojets, etc.

Roughly speaking a mid-late 50s turbojet would seem to give about 0.2 - 0.25G per system, and eat about 4 systems of fuel per hour.

Most aircraft will still needs 'smaller systems' versions to not be too fast. I suspect Spaceships (and many design systems before it) assume better streamlining than you generally get on an aeroplane.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #939
MorituriMax

Possibly a silly question, and perhaps its hidden in the 90+ some pages in the discussion. Is there a way to export the ship design to a PDF like your sample carrier? I've resorted to just saving the design as an HTML page, but would love a neat and tidy way to create a PDF to hand out or at least summarize it in a way that doesn't make me load it into the browser.

Thanks, love the sheet, though I am primarily a Traveller player. I have started amassing GURPS books as they are so much better edited than most of the Traveller books for the other systems. Plus, lots of extra detail because, dangit, a STARSHIP should have lots of fiddly bits.
MorituriMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:32 AM   #940
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorituriMax View Post
Possibly a silly question, and perhaps its hidden in the 90+ some pages in the discussion. Is there a way to export the ship design to a PDF like your sample carrier? I've resorted to just saving the design as an HTML page, but would love a neat and tidy way to create a PDF to hand out or at least summarize it in a way that doesn't make me load it into the browser.
The best way is to install a virtual PDF Printer driver for you computer, then you can "print" to PDF from any program. My current favorite is the Bullzip PDF Printer.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet