Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 10-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Adding to a whole category

Is there a way to add into an advantage to give a bonus to all item skills in a category? This is for Book/Path magic.

I want to add to magery that is also adds to all in the catrgory of "book", then in each of the Book skills I added by hand, there would benefit from Magery as well. I would label in each Book that its in the Category of "book". This seems to make sense to me, just wanted to know if possible? This is instead of having to list each book skill separately under "gives" in magery.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Adding to a whole category

Yes. That info was unintentionally left out of the data file info docs. I have an update document I'm doing for GCA5 that includes it, so that will be corrected at some point.

What you want to target is SKCAT:category.

For example, gives(+1 to SKCAT:book) would grant +1 per level to all skills that fall into the category book. Likewise, gives(=+1 to SKCAT:athletic) would grant a fixed +1 to all athletic skills.

ETA: If you find yourself doing a bonus to multiple categories at once, look up Compound Bonuses in the Data File Reference Guide to avoid possible issues with traits in multiple categories getting multiple bonuses.

Last edited by Armin; 10-16-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
Lameth

Default Re: Adding to a whole category

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Yes. That info was unintentionally left out of the data file info docs. I have an update document I'm doing for GCA5 that includes it, so that will be corrected at some point.

What you want to target is SKCAT:category.

For example, gives(+1 to SKCAT:book) would grant +1 per level to all skills that fall into the category book. Likewise, gives(=+1 to SKCAT:athletic) would grant a fixed +1 to all athletic skills.

ETA: If you find yourself doing a bonus to multiple categories at once, look up Compound Bonuses in the Data File Reference Guide to avoid possible issues with traits in multiple categories getting multiple bonuses.
You rock !
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote