Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-07-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
Hide

Default [Martial Arts] Iron legs, feet and barefoot DR

I am working on the concept of a barefoot martial artist, and I have been wondering if “iron legs” includes feet or not; this extends to the resistance bonuses and natural DR referred in MA50.

I want this character to achieve two things:

1. Resist hot/cold temperatures and rough terrain as if using protective gear (e.g. combat boots).

2. Being capable of pulling "tricks" such as walking over cinders, snow, thorns, etc. without receiving damage. I once read that walking over cinders is some kind of parlor game, but I would like the character to pull this for real.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 10-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
mr beer

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Iron legs, feet and barefoot DR

DR 1 would accomplish most of this. Could make it Flexible and obviously located on Feet or Legs. Damage from heat or cold is unlikely to exceed 1 point unless you are actually in a fire.

Maybe add one or two levels of Temperature Tolerance to the PC. If you want environmental survivability on the legs only and he has to dress the rest of the body accordingly...like say he marches around frozen wastelands rugged up like an Eskimo but with bare feet, then I would use location modifiers for Temperature Tolerance as well.

For extra durability against fires, add another point or two of DR, for Fire/Heat only, and again located on the legs/feet. Snow and thorns should already be protected against with the Temperature Tolerance and DR 1.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
mburr0003

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Iron legs, feet and barefoot DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
I am working on the concept of a barefoot martial artist, and I have been wondering if “iron legs” includes feet or not; this extends to the resistance bonuses and natural DR referred in MA50.
I would say no, as Iron Arms doesn't cover the hands.

But that's fine, just refluff Iron Hands for the feet.

You'll be fine briefly encountering fire, ice, hot/cold extremes, but for prolonged exposure resistance you'll need Temperature Tolerance. If it only protects teh legs/feet, just take it with a Limitation "Only legs and feet, -50%", which would get you 2 levels for the price of one. And you want to be able to withstand burning hot desert sands and frozen wastes you'll probably need 4 levels at least.