Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2020, 12:37 PM   #1
Coinage

Default David Brin Those Eyes

Hey. Just wanting to pick some brains and get some ideas. I just read David Brin's short story Those Eyes. It can be read free on this link: https://www.davidbrin.com/fiction/thoseeyes.html. In that story, fairies hide from humans. Brin has an interesting way of explaining why the fairies hide from humans. Here are some quotes

QUOTE/
Four teenagers blink, captivated by the light shining across their upturned faces. We had them nicely snared, but the distraction of that cursed voice weakens our grip. Gryffinloch murmurs alarm.
"We shouldn't have tried so many at once!"
"The voice has us confused," Fyrfalcon answers. "Take care —"
I cry out. "One wakens!"
Three of those young faces still exhibit rapture as they stand uncritical, accepting. But the fourth — a gangling child-woman — casts another kind of glow. As she rouses, her eyes narrow and her mouth forms words. Tapped into her mind, I sense her effort to see. To really see!
What am I staring at? Why... it looks transparent, as if it isn't really there at...
"Flee!" Fyrfalcon screams as we are blinded by that deadly gaze!
/ENDQUOTE

Later:

QUOTE/
By now those teenagers are rubbing their eyes, already convinced we were hallucinations. That is what happens when humans see us with skepticism. Now we blow away like leaves, like wisps of shredded dreams.
Perhaps the world's winds will bring some of us together to begin anew. Meanwhile, I can only drift and remember.
/ENDQUOTE

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to stat this? Ideas would be appreciated.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
Rolando

Default Re: David Brin Those Eyes

Invisibility with resisted by Will maybe? or IQ, Per or a skill maybe?

with some special, setting specific, modifiers.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
Ejidoth

Weakness (Skeptics; 1d per minute) [-40]
Like a vampire to sunlight, but instead of sunlight the hazard is being directly observed by people that think you must not be real.
Something like that.

Could argue for [-60], based on how hard it is to hide from humans and how commonplace not-believing-in-elves/UFOs is.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
Coinage

Thx for the replies. I think weakness might be a good idea. I think Kromm mentioned something like that in a post way back in 2005 here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...688#post149688. He mentioned in post #7.

QUOTE/
If you really want to suffer direct HP loss at 1d/second, apply Reduced Time 6, +120% to the cost for 1d/minute, for a base cost of -44 points. Holy items and such are "Rare" (-22 points) or at best "Occasional" (-44 points). Just be warned that this is rather . . . lethal, and more likely to kill you than Terminally Ill. Even a tough vampire with 20 HP will be taken out in about 30 seconds this way and crisped beyond even supernatural recovery in just over a minute.
/ENDQUOTE

So, maybe a super-charged version of Weakness with the reduced time. Weakness would be "observed by humans with Mundane Background?"
Old 08-31-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
Coinage

Another possibility, if you REALLY want to go hardcore, is to add an Instant Death condition, maybe from the Magic-Death Spells supplement.

How does that sound?

Last edited by Coinage; 09-01-2020 at 05:27 PM.