Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-29-2018, 07:03 AM   #31
Shadekeep

Default Re: Communicating on Cidri

If a board admin wants to lock this thread, I'm fine with that. It's gotten way off track, and I accept some of the blame for that. I'd rather have constructive discussions here.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #32
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Finding fun consequences in the way rules are structured is cool, and can lead to some interesting game ideas. When it turns into trainspotting-style assburger's syndrome it just misses the point of the game.
Yeah, I agree that some of the extrapolations made around the logistics of gate travel and commerce, for example, have probably gotten a bit out-of-hand. I think that the '1 in 216' failure-rate for gates will only apply to PCs in my campaign and not to the whole scope of the environment at-large. Management of the network would quickly become unsustainable otherwise IMO.

I will also be limiting the existence of gates considerably in my campaign, I think.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #33
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Yeah, I agree that some of the extrapolations made around the logistics of gate travel and commerce, for example, have probably gotten a bit out-of-hand. I think that the '1 in 216' failure-rate for gates will only apply to PCs in my campaign and not to the whole scope of the environment at-large. Management of the network would quickly become unsustainable otherwise IMO.

I will also be limiting the existence of gates considerably in my campaign, I think.
Rare stable gates implies that Create Gate is a lot harder to cast.

Under the current rules a network of Gate Stations that charge $1 per arrival or departure is much more profitable for the Wizard's Guild than doing enchantments, even with most of the passengers walking through the gates on four legs instead of two.

"Excuse me sir, but why does your Ox have a specific hostile intent?"

"He's just mean spirited."
Old 11-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #34
Shadekeep

Oh, and TippetsTX, if you ever get further with your ideas on psionic characters, perhaps start a house rule thread on it. Would be interesting to bandy about ideas on that.

I'm planning on including my Paired Parchment as a new magic item in the Lost Places book adventure. Ideally one would write on it in black ink, which would deliver the clearest message and also stand out from the blue of the other person's writing.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #35
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Oh, and TippetsTX, if you ever get further with your ideas on psionic characters, perhaps start a house rule thread on it. Would be interesting to bandy about ideas on that.
Had an interesting idea about that actually... it may not be practical, but what if the use of psionic powers sucked away IQ the way spells take ST? Continued use of such powers may lead to insanity or other mental instability.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #36
Shadekeep

Quote:
Had an interesting idea about that actually... it may not be practical, but what if the use of psionic powers sucked away IQ the way spells take ST? Continued use of such powers may lead to insanity or other mental instability.
That makes sense. Probably would lead to a lot of house rules covering the changes, such as can you use talents from your base IQ, or only from your current effective IQ? But using IQ as a psionic power pool is logical. Or perhaps a combination of ST and IQ (IQ to "cast", ST to maintain)?

One of the unlife powers in my book (Obsession) has an IQ-fatiguing effect over time, and it does lead to madness if the victim falls below 0 effective IQ (0 is catatonic coma). So you're on the right track in my opinion. ^_^
Old 11-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #37
hcobb

Quote:
The demons lend their strength freely, but the more you use the louder their voices become?
Old 11-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #38
Shadekeep

Here's the relevant part of the listing on Obsession that deals with IQ-fatigue effects:

Obsession manifests as persistent “mental fatigue”. Whereas Oppression operates against a character’s ST, Obsession operates against IQ. Someone under Obsession suffers +1 point of IQ “fatigue” per day, cumulative. This means that their effective IQ is reduced, so any spell or talent which requires an IQ beyond their adjusted value is no longer accessible to them. When the victim’s effective IQ goes below 8 they will begin to act irrationally and increasingly bestial. If their IQ reaches 0 they fall into a mindless stupour, and further Obsession loss beyond that point will trigger them to awake again in an incurably insane state. Some entities will drive their victim mad through Obsession, others will use it to put them in a stupour so that they can then Possess them.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #39
TippetsTX

Moved the discussion on psionics to a new thread in the House Rules Forum.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...07#post2225407
Old 11-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #40
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Rare stable gates implies that Create Gate is a lot harder to cast.

Under the current rules a network of Gate Stations that charge $1 per arrival or departure is much more profitable for the Wizard's Guild than doing enchantments, even with most of the passengers walking through the gates on four legs instead of two.
Yes, I do think that Create Gate should be harder to cast (only IQ 15?).

And it's not that I think your math is wrong regarding what travel thru a gate would cost, but I can't believe it was SJ's intent to make big magic like this so ridiculously cheap. I mean, even a bottle of wine costs $2.