Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
malchidael

Default The Fantasy Gloom, er, The GloomTrip, um..... In the Gloomerynth...

I decided to give a GloomHaven/TFT crossover a shot, and ran the first scenario for GloomHaven using TFT (specifically just Melee) rules.

The Black Barrow - Go in to a stinky, foul labyrinth and defeat some bandits.

There were three encounters in this scenario - the first against two bandit guards and an elite bandit archer; the second against a single elite bandit archer, and the third against two archers and two skeletons.

Scenario rules were: I used the GloomHaven setup for two characters, minimizing the number of foes (due to the differences in game engines).

No resting between encounters, nothing moves through doors, but once a door is open, the mobs behind it activate; traps do 2d damage unless disarmed with a 3/DX roll.

I created stats for the mobs (about 28-30 pt chars), chose four characters from the deck (Brant, Alden, Danira and Sigrun) and started throwing dice.

The first encounter, which started at close range, went pretty quickly, with Danira taking 5 damage and Sigrun taking 1. However, Sigrun broke her halberd on the first charge.

The second encounter with one bandit elite (not super-elite; a 33-pt character) went poorly, and both Brant and Alden take 7 damage before the bandit drops.

We open the final door and see two archers and two skeletons. The terrain in the room will keep us from charging the archers. Siggy tries to break through, but fails, and takes 5 damage.

We wisely disengage and run away.

Had the second scenario turned out a little differently, I think we would have won. But bringing my two high-dex heroes down that much was just too much of a risk.

Here's a picture of my team running away. Quickly drawn on a laminated poster with dry-erase (green marker does NOT come off the vistaprint lamination; going to try something stronger than whiteboard cleaner).
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:19 PM   #2
JLV

Default Re: The Fantasy Gloom, er, The GloomTrip, um..... In the Gloomerynth...

I like it! I really have to save up the many, many dollars required to buy Gloomhaven... ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
malchidael

I only have one scenario under my belt, but it appears that, since they only use included hex boards (1.25" hexes, from what I gather) to build their maps, all the scenarios should fall in the 1-5 encounter range. Just about perfect.

All sorts of tweaking needed, but that's part of the fun.

I did discover that the father of one of my daughter's friends plays GloomHaven. I don't know him, but "I spy, with my little eye, a potential TFT player"... :)

Here are the stats for the enemies that I used in this scenario
Bandit Guard
ST 12 DX 10 (9) IQ 8 MA 10
Broadsword (2d); Large Shield (2 hits)
Bandit Archer
ST 10 DX 12(10) IQ 8 MA 8
Horse Bow (1d); Dagger (1d-1); Leather Armor (2 hits)
Bandit Archer Elite
ST 12 DX 13(11) IQ 8 MA 8
Longbow (1d+2); Broadsword (2d); Small Shield (1 hit); Leather Armor (2 hits)
Living Bones
ST 8 DX 10 IQ 0 MA 10
Club 1d-1; small shield (1 hit)
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
larsdangly

Good stats blocks - the best way to lower the overall risk level of scenarios for PC's in a campaign sort of game (i.e., so they can survive more than a couple of fights) is to set default stat totals at ~28-30 for common enemy combatants. They are still perfectly capable of killing anyone, but players have just enough advantage that they should usually be able to win or escape.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I like it! I really have to save up the many, many dollars required to buy Gloomhaven... ;-)
The game was actually on sale not long ago from Amazon. It's available for $108 right now.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
The game was actually on sale not long ago from Amazon. It's available for $108 right now.
Alas, people around here (and the dogs too) like to eat, darn it; and $108 is beyond my budget at this time. It'll be a process, I'm afraid...
Old 03-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
GlennDoren

Quote:
Alas, people around here (and the dogs too) like to eat, darn it; and $108 is beyond my budget at this time. It'll be a process, I'm afraid...
In all fairness to Gloomhaven--there's a TON of stuff in that box, and the production value is pretty damn impressive considering the amount of stuff.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:38 PM   #8
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennDoren View Post
In all fairness to Gloomhaven--there's a TON of stuff in that box, and the production value is pretty damn impressive considering the amount of stuff.
Oh, I know that! You're absolutely right -- for me it's not a question of "content for the money," but just simply the money! Besides, as I pointed out above, every time I get to the point where I might have enough set aside for this, boom, SJG starts another darn TFT Kickstarter, and there goes the game budget again! ;-)
Old 04-01-2019, 01:53 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
. . . every time I get to the point where I might have enough set aside for this, boom, SJG starts another darn TFT Kickstarter, and there goes the game budget again! ;-)
Don't miss out on this reprint of a classic game accessory!!! The campaign ends today and you don't want to miss your chance at this storage solution that works with most games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ns-bag-of-bags
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #10
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Don't miss out on this reprint of a classic game accessory!!! The campaign ends today and you don't want to miss your chance at this storage solution that works with most games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ns-bag-of-bags
*sigh* I rest my case -- I'm in for $20 on this one (the $5 pledge plus three more bags o' bags...).

Question Phil: Will you guys continue to offer these after the Kickstarter, or is this ?

Well, regardless, I upped my pledge another 10 dollars for another 40 mini bags. I have a number of wargames that could use some counter sorting love...

Last edited by JLV; 04-01-2019 at 02:14 PM.