Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #61
Pectus Solentis

Default Re: How can I represent nursery skills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
That only applies to skills for operating unfamiliar equipment, it has nothing to do with unfamiliar procedures.
No. In GURPS Spaceships 1 p11, it is scribed that to repair Ice Armor we get -4 unfamiliarity penalty.
Pectus Solentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:45 PM   #62
AlexanderHowl

That is because it is a uniquely unfamiliar substance for armor in most settings (it is twice the special familiarity technique mention under Armoury in Basic). Conversely, no familiarity penalty is listed for Physician or Surgery in Basic. Anyway, I am not sure how you could generalize from spaceship ice armor to phlebotomy, as they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:30 AM   #63
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Kansas? I know you mentioned moving from where you were (Southern California, if I recall correctly) somewhere, but that's quite the change.
Yes, well, there were lots of reasons for moving out of California, starting with the cost of living becoming prohibitive. We had already decided to move, and what state to move to, when California passed AB5, which would make it impossible for me to work if I still lived there; basically it outlaws most freelance work.

We did a lot of online research, and picked out 12 states and then 36 cities, and then started narrowing down. In the end Boise and Lawrence were our top two picks, and I flew to both last year. I liked both of them, but Boise's housing costs were trending upward, partly because too many Californians were already moving there.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #64
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
California passed AB5, which would make it impossible for me to work if I still lived there; basically it outlaws most freelance work.
Wow. That AB5 is pretty crazy. Who would want to hire someone if the requirement is "no control or direction over the work" (why, yes, Mr. Jackson, you're required to pay me for my high school memoirs; you can't direct me to write about gameable Celtic mythology), not to mention the work having to be "outside the usual course of business" (yep, no game-related material of any sort can be written by writers for SJG-California unless they're employees).

Luckily NPs were already usually considered employees, since they're already required by other laws to perform most of their work under the control and direction of an MD, not to mention health care being their usual course of business and in fact the reason I'd talk to one...
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nurse, physician