Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
hal

Default Infrared Homing (viper) bullet?

Hello Folks,
Just thought I'd post this for the amusement of various individuals who enjoy the use of GURPS ULTRATECH for 4e.

Page 146 of ULTRATECH for 4e, contains an entry for guided bullets, at TL 9 (near future) you can have a 15mm bullet with such a guidance system.

Well, do a search on "EXACTO" and "Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance" or simply go HERE.

Based on the description of how this system works, I have to wonder too, if the flight characteristics of a .50 cal EXACTO round can also be made to be a little "Dumber" (ie not be guided) and still increase the long range accuracy of the bullet itself. Simply put, this round requires that the target be painted with a laser (so not TRULY an Infrared homing). None the less, it does prove to be an interesting addition to any future based campaign games.

:)

As always - keep in the back of your mind when you read stuff on the internet or the newspaper or anywhere else...

"Interesting if True"
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
clu2415

Default Re: Infrared Homing (viper) bullet?

I have been pondering how to represent such a system. By my reading, the Exacto can only correct course a limited number of times (or steers using fins), but is not self-propelled. This is a far cry from a bullet you can fire 45 degrees into the air and trust it will find its target! It seems to me that the precision of the original firing still matters to this bullet; get the trajectory right the first time and the bullet has little correcting to do.

Some things to consider: the .50 BMG round is designed to correct its course over 1500-2000 yards. Could the technology work in only 150 yards? .500 Smith and Wesson tops out at a 700 grain bullet, so the very largest pistol bullets could have the volume to fit guidance electronics as well as a reasonable payload.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote