Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #1
Ejidoth

Default Apparently Mindless Character?

Trying to make a character that's mindless as far as the setting is concerned--doesn't show up with Detect (Minds), immune to Mind-Reading and Mind-Control, can't receive Telesend, etc.--but is still capable of acting intelligently, has an IQ score, and can use IQ-based skills.

As far as I can tell, the general build for apparent mindlessness like this is Indomitable, Injury Tolerance (No Brain), Unfazeable, and Immunity to Mind Control, but it's unclear to me if that last is sufficient to also make them immune to mind-detection, mind-reading, etc.

Is it? If not, what do I need to add to make this work?

(This is intended for an adventurer loosely based on a Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 Jelly, or a slightly more alien Pyramid 3/72 Blob, not a robot, so Digital Mind with its clause of 'but you're susceptible to hackers' doesn't work)

Last edited by Ejidoth; 09-19-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:27 PM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Apparently Mindless Character?

I don't think Indomitable and Unfazeable do what you're describing, and Injury Tolerance (No Brain) definitely doesn't, unless you're trying to thwart Detect (The literal physical organ called the Brain) rather than Detect (The consciousness we think of as a Mind). If that sort of Detect, plus Mind-Reading and Mind-Control, are generally Psi powers in your setting, Static (Psi) limited to those effects only has got you covered (Powers, p 90). If those effects can be accomplished in many ways, you could buy Static for all of them and limit it the same way.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

• Resistant (Telesend, Immunity) [30]
  • Resistant (Mind Reading, Immunity) [30]
  • Resistant (Mind Probe, Immunity) [30]
  • Resistant (Mind Control, Immunity) [30]
  • Invisibility (Detect for Minds, -20%) [32]

Apparently . . . I decided to do it in descending alphabetical order . . ..
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
Ejidoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I don't think Indomitable and Unfazeable do what you're describing, and Injury Tolerance (No Brain) definitely doesn't, unless you're trying to thwart Detect (The literal physical organ called the Brain) rather than Detect (The consciousness we think of as a Mind). If that sort of Detect, plus Mind-Reading and Mind-Control, are generally Psi powers in your setting, Static (Psi) limited to those effects only has got you covered (Powers, p 90). If those effects can be accomplished in many ways, you could buy Static for all of them and limit it the same way.
Yes, sorry for lack of clarity in the original post.

I listed all the traits I'm considering for this 'mindless but somehow intelligent' meta-trait, but the immunity is the only one that might plausibly have this effect at all.

Static isn't necessary, Resistant (/Immunity) is explicit about being allowed for mental things. Resistant/Immunity to Psionics is an example (priced as Very Common) in Characters.

But trying to include every possible power source in Dungeon Fantasy (Magic, holy, unholy, psionic, chi, and who knows what else) is going to ridiculously overprice what should be a fairly simple trait. Is there no legitimate way to build this?
Old 09-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Another possibility would be Mind Shield 20 (Always On, -10%; Cosmic, +50%) [112], which would pretty much prevent any mental detection or mental effect. Unless limited, it applies to every source (Powers, p. 62).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
Ejidoth

Update:

Apparently Immunity to Mind Control does cover this, per the last paragraph under Resistant on page 54 of GURPS Zombies.

I won't replicate the whole list here, but it specifies that the immunity includes Mind Control, Mind Probe, Mind-Reading, Illusion (Mental), anything with (Glamour), and a few other traits, skills, spells, and technology.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #7
JulianLW

Para-Invisibility, based on Obscure, Clairsentience, with Extended, from Psionic Powers 23, makes you invisible to any kind of mental power or detection; even making it impossible to sense you coming with Danger Sense.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
  • Resistant (Telesend, Immunity) [30]
  • Resistant (Mind Reading, Immunity) [30]
  • Resistant (Mind Probe, Immunity) [30]
  • Resistant (Mind Control, Immunity) [30]
  • Invisibility (Detect for Minds, -20%) [32]

Apparently . . . I decided to do it in descending alphabetical order . . ..
I never thought of this until now, but "Immunity to Mind Control" does appear to set a precedent of it being VC (30pt) to get an automatically successful resistance against a 50 point exotic mental advantage regardless of power source, doesn't it?

So applying the cost to even cheaper ones (send, read, prob) is certainly fair.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote