Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
Roh

Default Bio-luminescence?

Need to find some good advantages to generate light. Not remembering or finding any. Any suggestions?
Roh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Bio-luminescence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roh View Post
Need to find some good advantages to generate light. Not remembering or finding any. Any suggestions?
Accessory Perk: Flashlight.
Any more powerful and you may need Control/Create light.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
jason taylor

Blinding Attack

Addition to attractive appearance

Long range Signaling(especially useful if the signal can broadcast on a wavelength the predator or prey cannot spot).
Old 08-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Okay, so going with how perhaps I may have misread your question...
Do you mean what advantages will create light, or what uses/advantages one can get from abilities to create light?

Light can mean Lasers, Illumination, damaging fires, pleasant heating...
Old 08-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #5
Roh

Strictly like. I am really looking to give bioluminescence to a deep see species. I just called it a perk. They can generate roughly the light of a lantern or flashlight. Probably going to connect it to their trunks. lol Yes they have trunks.

LoL Now I'm trying to figure out the effects of having no bones to break. Hydro-static skeleton.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #6
malloyd

Quote:
Strictly like. I am really looking to give bioluminescence to a deep see species. I just called it a perk. They can generate roughly the light of a lantern or flashlight. Probably going to connect it to their trunks. lol Yes they have trunks.
For a source like that - harmlessly illuminates an area not vastly larger than the thing can move in a few seconds, while showing off its exact location to anything else that can see - a perk (a variant of Illumination) is the right choice.

Quote:
LoL Now I'm trying to figure out the effects of having no bones to break. Hydro-static skeleton.
Possibly no significant ones. Puncture the pressure vessels and they collapse, which isn't much difference from shatter a bone and.... It's more controllable, so Flexible, the flexible enhancement on limbs and/or Slippery are reasonable possibilities, but not required.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Human penises maintain rigidity via a hydrostatic skeleton. Don't look up penile fracture for what happens when such an invertebrate part breaks.

Though for these it's more pressure inducing rupture of tubes than break in the classic bone/cartilage fashion. Effectively the same thing for Gurps purposes, I'd imagine.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
Roh

LoL Luckily this species also actually has muscle reinforcing the appendages and a tough scaled hide with a DR 1. That and they evolved in deep ocean vents as chase carnivores. By the time they have taken enough damage to resemble a ruptured penis... Well. I doubt they much care anymore. ;)
Old 08-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Breaking a bone doesn't spell automatic death for any animal I know of. So I don't see why rupturing a hydrostat would or should either.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Perk: Illumination - equivalent to a flashlight (narrow 10-yard beam) or a torch (2-yard radius) – but for vehicles it’s as bright as headlights on a vehicle of that type.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote