Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #21
JP42

Default Re: [RPM] Low-End Grimoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Basically, it boils down to if the advantage is under the control of the target so afflicted or the caster. As for Alertness, you can do it with Altered Traits, but it's easier (and cheaper) to use Bestows a Bonus.
Wait, is this the answer to Area versus Ranged? If it's that the spell makes you able to detect things, it's Area, but if it makes things detectable, it's ranged?
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #22
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP42 View Post
Wait, is this the answer to Area versus Ranged? If it's that the spell makes you able to detect things, it's Area, but if it makes things detectable, it's ranged?
An area effect detection ritual is going to detect everything that fits its criteria (secret door) within its area (10 yards). If you are searching for a single, specific object/person, you only need to find one, so you use range.

If you were to reverse it, and give Detect Secret Door Ranged instead of Area, you'd probably just find the nearest secret door, and that would be it. Seek Person using Area would cost more - a lot more - to cover the same range, but would have the added advantage of locating everyone that meets your criteria.

Essentially, Area lets you detect/affect/whatever a lot of stuff, Ranged lets you detect/affect/whatever one thing. You can, of course, combine the two to detect a lot of stuff within, say, a 10 yard radius that happens to be 1 mile away from you...

At least, that's how I interpret it.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #23
JP42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
An area effect detection ritual is going to detect everything that fits its criteria (secret door) within its area (10 yards). If you are searching for a single, specific object/person, you only need to find one, so you use range.

If you were to reverse it, and give Detect Secret Door Ranged instead of Area, you'd probably just find the nearest secret door, and that would be it. Seek Person using Area would cost more - a lot more - to cover the same range, but would have the added advantage of locating everyone that meets your criteria.

Essentially, Area lets you detect/affect/whatever a lot of stuff, Ranged lets you detect/affect/whatever one thing. You can, of course, combine the two to detect a lot of stuff within, say, a 10 yard radius that happens to be 1 mile away from you...

At least, that's how I interpret it.
That's the direction I was leaning in as well, but it's nice to see someone else agreeing with the assessment. If I build my Detect Orc spell with Ranged, it'll tell me where the nearest one is, within that range. If I build it with Area, it'll tell me where every one is within the area.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #24
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
For Altered traits. Area spells can only be used at most 2 yards from you - with Ranged you can afflict a Area at range. Otherwise. I'm a tad confused. Could you bullet point specific questions and I'll do my best to help here. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #25
JP42

Quote:
For Altered traits. Area spells can only be used at most 2 yards from you - with Ranged you can afflict a Area at range. Otherwise. I'm a tad confused. Could you bullet point specific questions and I'll do my best to help here. :-)
See Varyon's post for more detail of what I was looking for.

Is it sufficient to say that Area and Range are both useful for seek spells, but that the former will find all instances in the area while the latter will find the closest instance within range?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #26
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
See Varyon's post for more detail of what I was looking for.

Is it sufficient to say that Area and Range are both useful for seek spells, but that the former will find all instances in the area while the latter will find the closest instance within range?
Basically, if you are going after a Magic-style Seek spell it's Long Distance Range and then a Area of Effect to find all instances of that type of object/phenomena/etc. in a area. So for example, If you want to find all instances of a iron in a 60 yard area 2 miles away you'd need a spell with a Area of Effect of 60 yards and a Long Distance range of 2 miles. Does that make sense?

Become a Patron!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #27
JP42

Quote:
Basically, if you are going after a Magic-style Seek spell it's Long Distance Range and then a Area of Effect to find all instances of that type of object/phenomena/etc. in a area. So for example, If you want to find all instances of a iron in a 60 yard area 2 miles away you'd need a spell with a Area of Effect of 60 yards and a Long Distance range of 2 miles. Does that make sense?
Totally. What if I want to find the nearest Orc? Area or Long Range

Pretty sure I've always understood when you'd use both Area and Range, just not necessarily when you'd use one over the other.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #28
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Totally. What if I want to find the nearest Orc? Area or Long Range

Pretty sure I've always understood when you'd use both Area and Range, just not necessarily when you'd use one over the other.
Long Distance would let you find the nearest orc to you and ignore all the others (if there are any). Area would find the nearest one and any others within the effect.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #29
Varyon

Quote:
Long Distance would let you find the nearest orc to you and ignore all the others (if there are any). Area would find the nearest one and any others within the effect.
And, JP42, note that Long Distance is far cheaper. Detecting the nearest orc within 100 miles would be something like Lesser Sense Body (2), Range 100 miles (6), for a total of 8 energy. Detecting all orcs within 100 miles would be something like Lesser Sense Body (2), Area 100 miles (32), for a total of 34 energy - over 4x as much.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #30
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
And, JP42, note that Long Distance is far cheaper. Detecting the nearest orc within 100 miles would be something like Lesser Sense Body (2), Range 100 miles (6), for a total of 8 energy. Detecting all orcs within 100 miles would be something like Lesser Sense Body (2), Area 100 miles (32), for a total of 34 energy - over 4x as much.
Ja. You can view Range as "I find the nearest specimen too me." and Area of Effect as "I find all specimens around me like a video-game mini-map."

Become a Patron!

Tags
grimoire, low energy, magic, rpm, starter