Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2020, 11:22 PM   #1
b-dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default I would like a DF book about spirits please

Spirits are a part of dungeon delving that would be interesting to have an in depth book for. There are many types of spirits and spiritual energies. There are nature spirits and spirits of place and almost anything. Then there are the spirits of mortals who have died which would be considered undead. There are spirit worlds and there are also spirits that have escaped from Hell or released from Heaven. Liches might be considered spirits with a focus that is their skeleton which is bound through necromancy. Zombies are a corpse with an animating spirit that is basic and follows simple commands. Poltergeists might be free spirits that have not made their way to Heaven or Hell. Specters are spirits that have been released from Hell to terrorize the mortal world. There are a lot of different types of spirits.

There might even be a new class of PC like a shaman or psychic that can read spiritual energies and have power over them. Clerics might be more concerned with morality and fighting the Infernal such as demons and evil undead which leaves room for a PC that deals with restless spirits.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:47 AM   #2
tbone
 
tbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: I would like a DF book about spirits please

I've heard it suggested that a dedicated book for each DF monster class (undead, demons, spirits, etc.) would be a good addition to the DF series or to DFRPG, and I agree.

There's already an old GURPS Spirits book; much of that could be narrowed down and tweaked for classic delving. For DFRPG, a Spirits book would also probably bring in the shaman and maybe other summoners from the DF series.

I'm not one who thinks monsters need to be thoroughly categorized and statted out neatly, but some (optional!) detailing is always fun. In particular, I'd welcome more ideas on what exactly PCs can glean from each of the Physiology (Spirits), Psychology (Spirits), and Hidden Lore (Spirits) skills, plus good guidelines on the dividing lines among nature spirits, non-nature spirits, undead, elementals, and anything else that touches on these fuzzy boundaries. More detail on spirit worlds, something you mention, would also be a nice addition to the book.
__________________
T Bone
GURPS stuff and more at the Games Diner:
http://www.gamesdiner.com
Twitter: @Gamesdiner RSS: http://www.gamesdiner.com/categories/general/feed
(Latest goods on the site: Tiny DFRPG idea: A better Green Thumb. Very brief ideas for boosting this advantage with a couple more skills.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #3
Phil Masters
 
Phil Masters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: U.K.
Default Re: I would like a DF book about spirits please

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Spirits are a part of dungeon delving that would be interesting to have an in depth book for. ... There might even be a new class of PC like a shaman or psychic that can read spiritual energies and have power over them. ...
As a DFRPG book on this subject would doubtless end up re-using a bunch of material from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 9, ensuring me some extra income, I am entirely in favour of this idea.
__________________
--
Phil Masters
Author of A Dozen Castle Images (Pay What You Want for Twelve Plot Seeds).
My Home Page.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:05 AM   #4
corwyn
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Default Re: I would like a DF book about spirits please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
As a DFRPG book on this subject would doubtless end up re-using a bunch of material from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 9, ensuring me some extra income, I am entirely in favour of this idea.
There's a D&D setting called Zeitgeist wherein one of the strong themes is the ability to speak with spirits. The Shaman in DF 9 is quite handy in my game.
__________________
MiB 7704

Running: DF RPG/Steampunk
Playing: DF RPG Wytchworld (homebrew fighting the armies of the Ice Queen)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
SolemnGolem
 
SolemnGolem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Fallen Column?
Default Re: I would like a DF book about spirits please

Sorry for the bump, this was the least old thread I could find about GURPS spirits.

Context: a few GURPS Magic and maybe even GURPS Basic Set skills talk about "categories" of spirits. They give a few examples - I think specters and banshees are listed. (I can go back and try to find the specific cites and quotes if needed.)

My question: is there any worked example or setting-specific master list of such spirits? I'm not trying to get a D&D-style "detailed ranking" of undead or anything, but I would like to know how SJG envisioned the spirit world and its categories.

Or, is this just an open-ended "GM can expand on this if they want further diversity" type of situation?
SolemnGolem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:34 AM   #6
Juan
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Default Re: I would like a DF book about spirits please

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
Sorry for the bump, this was the least old thread I could find about GURPS spirits.

Context: a few GURPS Magic and maybe even GURPS Basic Set skills talk about "categories" of spirits. They give a few examples - I think specters and banshees are listed. (I can go back and try to find the specific cites and quotes if needed.)

My question: is there any worked example or setting-specific master list of such spirits? I'm not trying to get a D&D-style "detailed ranking" of undead or anything, but I would like to know how SJG envisioned the spirit world and its categories.

Or, is this just an open-ended "GM can expand on this if they want further diversity" type of situation?
Well, GURPS Spirits (for 3e) details types of Spirits: nature, celestial (including Ultraterrestrials -Cthulhu kind-) and human.

This types relate to the origin of the Spirit. The first chapter also cites purpose and abilites as a further kind of categorization.

Do not know if It was of any help.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:06 AM   #7
corwyn
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Default Re: I would like a DF book about spirits please

DF 9: Summoners has 7 pages on spirits in the dungeon

Fantasy has info throughout the book from a world design perspective (little to no crunch since it's mostly system-agnostic)

3e Undead is a book about playing undead - 3e templates plus historical and legendary treatment on corporeal and non-corporeal undead (I use this for 4e a lot.
__________________
MiB 7704

Running: DF RPG/Steampunk
Playing: DF RPG Wytchworld (homebrew fighting the armies of the Ice Queen)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:25 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor
 
Kromm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Default Re: I would like a DF book about spirits please

A detailed treatment of just spirits is the sort of incredibly specialized thing that might suit the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series. It would be in the vein of the divine servitors chapter of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 5: Allies, the "bestiary" chapters of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 9: Summoners and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 14: Psi, or perhaps a focused GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters volume similar to Icky Goo or Dragons. It would be too narrow for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, which is meant to be an entry-level boxed game focused on dungeon crawling, to which hauntings, ritual bindings, exorcisms, and other things unrelated to hack 'n' slash are peripheral at best (that's why its monster selection includes very few spirits!).

This thread was originally posted to the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game forum and not the GURPS forum. I've moved it to the latter forum, where it's more appropriate.
__________________
Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch <kromm@sjgames.com>
GURPS Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games
My LiveJournal [Just GURPS News][Just The Company]
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #9
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: I would like a DF book about spirits please

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
DF 9: Summoners has 7 pages on spirits in the dungeon

Fantasy has info throughout the book from a world design perspective (little to no crunch since it's mostly system-agnostic)

3e Undead is a book about playing undead - 3e templates plus historical and legendary treatment on corporeal and non-corporeal undead (I use this for 4e a lot.
There also is GURPS Template Toolkit 2: Races which lists several spirit templates and GURPS Powers: Totem and Nature Spirits which describes and has worked examples of templates and lenses for spirits riding people and imbuing them with extra capability.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:27 AM   #10
maximara
On Notice
 
maximara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sumter, SC
Default Re: I would like a DF book about spirits please

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I've heard it suggested that a dedicated book for each DF monster class (undead, demons, spirits, etc.) would be a good addition to the DF series or to DFRPG, and I agree.

There's already an old GURPS Spirits book; much of that could be narrowed down and tweaked for classic delving. For DFRPG, a Spirits book would also probably bring in the shaman and maybe other summoners from the DF series.

I'm not one who thinks monsters need to be thoroughly categorized and statted out neatly, but some (optional!) detailing is always fun. In particular, I'd welcome more ideas on what exactly PCs can glean from each of the Physiology (Spirits), Psychology (Spirits), and Hidden Lore (Spirits) skills, plus good guidelines on the dividing lines among nature spirits, non-nature spirits, undead, elementals, and anything else that touches on these fuzzy boundaries. More detail on spirit worlds, something you mention, would also be a nice addition to the book.
Many of the things in Classic: Spirits have 4e conventions on the GURPS wiki as does Classic: Faerie
__________________
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links. Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dungeon fanasy, spirits

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.