Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
Disliker of the mary sue

Default Playing Kingdom hearts in Gurps

I been trying to sell the idea of gurps to my friends for awhile now, and one of the ideas that been molling in my head was the series kingdom hearts which a lot of my friends like and had played in free form rps in the setting in the past. So a couple of questions.

1. Is gurps even the right game for this setting, or should I go with something more cinimatic like hero or savage world?

2. The keyblade, I kind of split if it should be signature gear or should be stated like an intelligent weapon. I do remember one remark in the game "The child's strength is not his own." which could give the idea sora fighting prowles is more because of the weapon rather then his own limited experince in play fighting. While there is an art to keyblading, effectly sora did the first 2 games without any of the fancier tricks keyblader properly trained knew....which kind is like winning against master martial artist using only untrained street brawling.

3. Is there like a big list of disney charecter with gurp stats? it would save a lot of time on prep work if so.

4. what books should I have, I have the basic three, charecter, campaign, powers, and I also have, tactical shooting, psionics,mysteries,space,spaceship,biotech,lowtech ,infinite world, fantasy, thautmolgiy

To show a little leg work I done on my own limited experience here is my stats for the basic heartless type shadow.

5 str(-50),12dex(+40),5iq(-100),5 ht (-50) -3 SM/Advantage:Dark vision(+20)combat reflex(+15) detect( spiritual heart)(+20) doesn't breath(+20) injury tolerance diffuse(+100) shadow form(+50) unkillable 3 (achilies heel keyblade) (+135)/disadvantage: Bestial (-15) uncontrollable appiette (spiritual heart) (-15)/
total cost: +192

Last edited by Disliker of the mary sue; 08-18-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: Playing Kingdom hearts in Gurps

1. I'm not sure there's anything GURPS is wrong for. Except settings where one character gains permanent power from eating your enemies' souls, it struggles with that.

2. I would stat it as an Innate Attack with gadget modifiers. Maybe Based on ST would be appropriate, maybe not. I don't remember the setting too well, but if it's also a person, it should also be an Ally and statted appropriately.

3. Not to my knowledge.

4. I like Martial Arts, but it sounds like you probably have enough. Actually, Martial Arts would probably help for "fancier keyblader tricks."
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
Disliker of the mary sue

Well I heard that gurps has issues in high level supers, some of the things in this game series might qualify for that.

I been meaning to get martial arts, it just seems to be a hard book to get a hold of and I'll probably have to submit to getting a pdf.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
Maz

I would probably go for BESM for such a game. If nothing else than for the anime-style.

If you don't know BESM it's a lot like GURPS just a bit simpler and faster and less detailed.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #5
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I would probably go for BESM for such a game. If nothing else than for the anime-style.

If you don't know BESM it's a lot like GURPS just a bit simpler and faster and less detailed.
Hm that is a thought,
Old 08-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
Disliker of the mary sue

Okay regardless of whether or not it a good system this game will happen.

So I made a new heartless template and later I going to have to make a lot more of these. Might need to edit the first template too on the shadow.)

Soldier heartless

Str:8(-20),Dex:12(+40),IQ:5(-100),ht:8(-20) per:8(+15)/advantage: Sharp Claws(+5),combat reflex(+15),damage resistant 3 (Skull only)(+5),dark vision(+25),detect(spiritual heart)(+20), indomitable(+15)injury tolerence diffuse(+100),unkillable 3 (Achilles heel keyblade)(+135)/disadvantage: Bestial (-15), cannot speak (mute) (-25) Uncontrollable appetite (spiritual heart)(-15)/Technique, Jump kick(Heartless)
Old 11-26-2017, 05:56 AM   #7
N.H.Alicia

Most Heartless do not have Diffuse and Shadow Form. Shadows can only flatten themselves against the ground for a limited time, and cannot attack.

Add Reincarnation to Unkillable. A Heartless can be destroyed without a keyblade, but if this happens the released heart will be corrupted again. Consider removing Unkillable altogether, and declare that what happens to the released heart is outside the scope of the statblock.

Consider declaring mook Heartless dead at 0HP or giving them Fragile (Unnatural) to prevent average Heartless taking long battles to kill.

Steal a magic system from a GURPS Final Fantasy project. Most magic in Kingdom Hearts follows Final Fantasy conventions.
N.H.Alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:52 AM   #8
Yako

I think it should work well enough.

You will want all the spells and special attacks as powers and give them a good amount of FP cost (I do suggest Rev. P Kitty's houserule for a bigger return on that limitation).
If you want, you can also add takes recharge to make it closer to the deck command style of games.

You could even emulate the deck command system with modular abilities if you want to amping up the recharge time and eliminating the FP costs.

If you use an MP system, you likely want to use Energy Reserve from GURPS Powers.

I think Heartless should at least have fragile (Unnatural). Maybe add Hard to subdue to make it less easy to just knock a heartless down due to low HP.
Alternatively, just let them fight to 0 HP and be killed then and give them more HP to make up for it.

Since heartless really have all sorts of attacks, it may be a bit tough but also interesting to stat it all out.

For heroes, super Jump and a couple of other traits to simulate the movement abilities will be necessary.

Use A LOT of acrobatic dodge to simulate the dodge roll mechanics.

Also, everyone will be summoning their signature weapon, which tends to return to them when needed, so they would be gadget based innate attacks with switchable (they can be summoned from nothing), but given that they can be neither destroyed or stolen by normal means (Riku taking over the Keyblade was a very special case), the only thing you would get out of it is the fact that keyblades can be knocked away to cause you a temporary inconvenience.
Keyblades also come with added abilities like extra energy reserve and gadget based magery or such on occasion, which should be packaged together with them.

You will make copious use of alternative attacks / abilities for multiple keyblades available as well as for the different spells, special abilities or commands.

Make use of Dirty tricks and similar to simulate the way Sora and company occasionally use situation commands and such.

As in many cases with GURPS 8but that will apply to other systems too), you WILL end up having to invest a lot of work to stat up all the enemies.
Heartless have so many creative abilities that, as said before, it may be hard to work everything out.

Custom Cardboard Miniatures
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #9
N.H.Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy
If you meant Unkillable 3, since I've never witnessed Shadows healing (though it's hard to keep them alive since your NPC allies will attack them, you need to let your allies be killed) they probably have very slow healing disadvantages, making it take incredibly long for them to be reborn once killed.
I was suggesting a modification to the suggested template. Personally, I would count the heartless reincarnation effect as a feature. It seems not to provide any actual advantage.

Last edited by N.H.Alicia; 12-06-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
N.H.Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako View Post
You could even emulate the deck command system with modular abilities if you want to amping up the recharge time and eliminating the FP costs.
That appears to be a gameplay conceit, but still, good idea.

Tags
adaptations, gurps, kingdom hearts