Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Huyderman
MIB

Default Retaining physical traits while using Possession

When you use Possession, you retain the mental traits of the original, while gaining the physical traits of the host. However, fiction has many examples of entities possessing a host and the host is physically affected. E.g. gaining super-human strength, wings, etc.
How would you model this in GURPS? And how would it be different if the trait only manifests in the possessed host, but not in the original body of someone using Possession (Telecontrol)?
MiB#0505
http://www.huyderman.com/
Huyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Retaining physical traits while using Possession

(Accessibility, Only when using Possession, -30%) and (Mental Trait, +0%), is how I'd handle it, applied to the advantages you want to buff the possessed body with.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Huyderman
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
(Accessibility, Only when using Possession, -30%) and (Mental Trait, +0%), is how I'd handle it, applied to the advantages you want to buff the possessed body with.
I'm not quite sure 'Mental Trait' is only a +0% modifier; most enhancement that change the nature of an advantage for convenience are still +5-20%. Then again, 'Types of Advantages' (p. B32) indicate the types are only meant as guidelines, so pricing it at +0 probably wouldn't hurt.
MiB#0505
Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Huyderman
MIB

I've actually found a mention about turning an physical advantage to a mental one; in the 'Physical and Mental Abilities' sidebox on p. 154 of Powers, it states that require a IQ, Will, or Per roll is mental. So the official way to change the ability type would be to apply a 'Based on (Diffrent Attribute)' modifier. Of course it also includes an 'unless the GM specifies otherwise' clause.
MiB#0505
Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyderman View Post
I've actually found a mention about turning an physical advantage to a mental one; in the 'Physical and Mental Abilities' sidebox on p. 154 of Powers, it states that require a IQ, Will, or Per roll is mental. So the official way to change the ability type would be to apply a 'Based on (Diffrent Attribute)' modifier. Of course it also includes an 'unless the GM specifies otherwise' clause.
So converting it to a Mental Trait is a limitation? *grins* And if you don't desire the attribute check portion but do want the category change?
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
So converting it to a Mental Trait is a limitation? *grins* And if you don't desire the attribute check portion but do want the category change?
Then give it a Power Modifier that's a mental trait, such as Magic, -10% (or Holy, or whatever).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyderman
When you use Possession, you retain the mental traits of the original, while gaining the physical traits of the host. However, fiction has many examples of entities possessing a host and the host is physically affected. E.g. gaining super-human strength, wings, etc.
How would you model this in GURPS? And how would it be different if the trait only manifests in the possessed host, but not in the original body of someone using Possession (Telecontrol)?
Hmm... Alternate Form, maybe an afflicted one.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
aesir23

I'd make you buy Affliction (Advantages, Accessibility: only currently possessed bodies).
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
Tuoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyderman View Post

If its a passive trait that is usable with or without possession I'd use Affects Others (Accessibly: Only possessed -20%) +40%. If the trait can only be used by the person you've possessed I'd another Accessibility -40%, making it a +0% switch. Being able to buff your host instead of yourself seems like a fair exchange.

Active abilities like IA's are annoying because by RAW your limited to either repeatedly Afflicting (the affliction being a mental ability) the host with the desired advantage or converting the active abilities to Mental abilities.
Tuoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Bruno

You can make the Affliction a very short duration Aura, Always On, Only When Possessing. Especially with something like Spiritual or Parasitic posession where you're literally occupying the body, simplifying the whole Aura thing. While you're posesssing someone, nobody can "touch" you but the host, so that makes sure it's limited to just the host.

This will result in the host automatically gaining the advantages after a few seconds - since he's "attacked" by the Affliction every second he'll fail Pretty Darn Quick and probably by 10 or 20 seconds of possession your package will kick in.

I'd usually use Afflict Alternate Form for this sort of thing, giving the host a "Metaform" that is defined as "your base form plus" so everyone gets the same metatrait added.

The metatrait being whatever it is you want to carry over to your host.

In many (but not all) cases, I would make this Affliction an Alternate Ability of your own copy of the metatrait. Depends on whats in the trait.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, possession, wendigo