Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Pyramid #3/28: Thaumatology II

Pyramid #3/28: Thaumatology II – the latest from e23 – is like Pyramid #3/13: Thaumatology, but it gets +1 damage/die and stuns the enemy. Okay, not quite. But you get some cool stuff:
  • Optional alchemy rules that link elixir production more closely to spells, and add new elixirs, new forms and enhancements for elixirs, and new perks, techniques, and spells for alchemists.
  • A magical style for GURPS Banestorm – or any setting with goblins in its past, really – which of course comes with more new perks and spells.
  • Additional detail for spicing up ceremonial magic, making it something more than a cheesy way to get a bunch of extra energy points.
  • A magical conspiracy that could seed an adventure, a story arc, or even an entire campaign.
  • Advice on destroying your campaign world with magic. No, not (necessarily) by letting the PCs have too much power, although the PCs will almost surely end up involved . . .
And of course Steven Marsh gets in on the act, and there's Murphy's Rules and other good stuff. Get it now so you'll meet the prerequisites for Thaumatology III, which adds incendiary effects and turns enemy weapons to cheese!
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Stone Dog

Default Re: Pyramid #3/28: Thaumatology II

So... close... to payday.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
As soon as I get back the money I loaned the government at no interest, I may pick it up as well.

Question: How much powerful goodness does this have for us non-standard magic system users (Path/Book, Syntactic, etc.)?

Last edited by RyanW; 02-18-2011 at 12:44 AM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Question: How much powerful goodness does this have for us non-standard magic system users (Path/Book, Syntactic, etc.)?
This is my question also. The answer determines whether or not I'll spend my money.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
Not another shrubbery

... Eye-catching thread title... clever :)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

D'oh! Fixed.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
With this issue, I tried to shed some light onto corners of the GURPS magic system that haven't received a lot of love.

"It's Pure Chemistry!" beefs up alchemical options from GURPS Magic significantly, and I got jazzed by their possibilities. Given that the alchemical rules don't really tie into the main Magic rules much, I'd say they it qualifies as a "non-standard" magic system. At least one option -- tattoo elixirs -- result in mages who feel very different from standard alchemists.

"Yellow Goblin Magic" presents a new magical style, including a bunch of new spells. Again, Thaumatology: Magical Styles hasn't gotten a lot of love since its release, so I'm glad to offer more ideas of what to do with those new rules.

And "Ceremonial Magic Made Easy" beefs up the options for ceremonial magic (beefing up options first presented in Thaumatology). Again, folks don't usually think of ceremonial magic in an adventuring setting, but this article makes it a much more viable option.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
With this issue, I tried to shed some light onto corners of the GURPS magic system that haven't received a lot of love.
I agree with what you'are explaining here, and I like this Pyramid issue. Refinements to GURPS alchemy and ceremonial magic are very welcomed.

On the other hand, it's hard to deny that we are going to need Pyramid #3/x Thaumatology III for covering more of these GURPS magic aspects that haven't received too much official attention after the release of the GURPS Thaumatology hardcover, like Path/Book magic . . . and others :-)

EDIT: Don't forget to check the related thread in the SJG Pyramid forum about this Pyramid issue.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 02-18-2011 at 11:37 AM.
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
On the other hand, it's hard to deny that we are going to need Pyramid #3/x Thaumatology III for covering more of these GURPS magic aspects that haven't received too much official attention after the release of the GURPS Thaumatology hardcover, like Path/Book magic . . . and others :-)
Well, magic issues have been pretty darn popular, and I love weird/alternate magic systems and rules. Assuming that sales on this issue aren't horrifying, it seems very likely that we'll revisit Path/Book magic in the future. (And, of course, Path/Book magic articles don't need to be limited to issues marked "Thaumatology" . . .)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
It's Here! It's Here!!!!

and Tactical Shooting too!!!!

Tags
alchemy, magic, pyramid 3/28, pyramid issues