Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #21
Gnome

Default Re: The Phantom Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
They actually look OK to me, with the exception of Create Monster (and the derived Create Phantom Monster), which seems like it might be too easily abused [and is covered in large part by the existing Create Animal and Create Mount]. The problems with the Phantom spell are taken care of by having the creation act as the non-phantom spell if 'believed'.
Thanks! I knew that Create Monster was the troublesome one, but I wanted to have a basis for Create Phantom Monster, which allows one to create phantoms that aren't warriors or animals.
I think the key is that the GM needs to "manually" curtail abuse. I actually think Create Animal is just as easy to abuse, partially because SM is on a logarithmic scale while the energy costs increase linearly. You can create a ST 45 elephant for 8 FP, for example, and in DF you might easily run into a Giant Roc or other such ridiculously powerful animal that you can subsequently create. At least Create Monster costs 4 FP per SM, so once you get into dragon territory, the energy costs get stupid. I think Create Monster is only reasonable in a DF game where there's a clear definition of what counts as a "monster." Remember also that the creation has no mental skills (which includes spells, etc.). I should probably have also said no IQ-based abilities (Telepathy, Mind Control, etc.). But certainly a lot of the balancing is left to the GM (as it is for Create Animal).
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #22
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: The Phantom Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome
I actually think Create Animal is just as easy to abuse, partially because SM is on a logarithmic scale while the energy costs increase linearly. You can create a ST 45 elephant for 8 FP, for example, and in DF you might easily run into a Giant Roc or other such ridiculously powerful animal that you can subsequently create.
The change in energy cost in 4E does make distressingly powerful allies fairly cheap. Something closer to 3E's '2/100 lbs. of weight' might be better.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, magic