Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Zadkiel has been released!!!!

What more need I say? Get thee to e23 at once!

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-3314

EDIT: And for those who want to thank The Fox directly for freeing our beloved Archangel and restoring hope to those who had none, here's the link for the original announcement: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=64392

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 11-19-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Yamiblade

Default Re: Zadkiel has been released!!!!

YAY! *will buy it as soon as I have money*

So who do you think is next?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamiblade View Post
YAY! *will buy it as soon as I have money*

So who do you think is next?
I have my suspicions, but only Archangel Beth can be sure. Here's the ones that still haven't gotten "full" writeups -- the Heavenly ones have the basic bare-bones sketch, while the Hellish ones got longer writeups in the Revelation Cycle (with the exception of Furfur and Magog, of course):

HEAVEN
Christopher, Archangel of Children
Janus, Archangel of the Wind
Jean, Archangel of Lightning
Jordi, Archangel of Animals
Marc, Archangel of Trade
Novalis, Archangel of Flowers

HELL
Baal, Balseraph Prince of The War
Beleth, Djinn Princess of Nightmares
Belial, Calabite Prince of Fire
Furfur, Calabite Prince of Hardcore (Likely a low priority)
Kronos, Demon Prince of Fate
Magog, Shedite Prince of Cruelty (Also likely a low priority)
Malphas, Shedite Prince of Factions
Saminga, Shedite Prince of Death

This of course doesn't count the Superiors that are dead or absent in the core setting. For the Big List, you want Rob Kelk's famous post no. 10 in this thread: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=33181

Last edited by Rocket Man; 11-19-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Andygal

I think I recall it being mentioned that Marc was in the pipeline for development/release. So I assume that will be the next.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
ISNorden

I just bought the Zadkiel PDF online; most of the material in there is useful and well-written, although the Muslim slant and closeness to Khalid don't fit my campaign that well. Yes, she firmly believes that God is merciful and loving enough to offer His protection to everyone; yes, she still believes that Hellsworn are tools of the enemy. And yes, Zadkiel will still wear traditional Muslim garb if she appears in the right parts of the world. But the Archangel of Protection is older than Islam or even Christianity, as the book points out. Wouldn't a spirit that old, with an all-embracing Word and attitude, care more about benevolence than about attachment to one specific religion? General acceptance that God is God, plus ethical behavior, should be faith enough for her.

Other than that one sticking point, the background information (Zadkiel's history, hierarchy, and so forth) works well even in a heretical game like mine. With one of my PCs engaged to a Cherub of Protection, it's good to know that the character sheet won't need too many changes--and great to know what she should know about politics "back home".

Edited to add: Tamar, the Cherub in question, has a devoutly Catholic Role (and a Latina vessel to match her first assignments); between Zadkiel's maternal personality and the Church's teaching about Mary as protecting mother, I could see Protectors attracted to that faith just as easily as to Islam.

Last edited by ISNorden; 11-19-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: link to Tamar's updated NPC sheet
ISNorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
But the Archangel of Protection is older than Islam or even Christianity, as the book points out. Wouldn't a spirit that old, with an all-embracing Word and attitude, care more about benevolence than about attachment to one specific religion? General acceptance that God is God, plus ethical behavior, should be faith enough for her.
Of course, Dominic is older yet and still encourages Christianity, largely because he thinks it offers the best set of rules by which to create a just, faithful society. Zadkiel's stance may well be similar. She certainly doesn't mandate that her servants be Muslim and her own adherence is far more moderate than Khalid's. More than likely, she decided that 1) the rules and faith of Islam represented God in a way she liked and in a manner that encouraged the protection of humans, and 2) That at a given point in history, Islam desperately needed protection. YMMV, of course, but that's my initial take on it.

(That said, I love the less-then-serious "Jewish mother" option mentioned!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post

Edited to add: Tamar, the Cherub in question, has a devoutly Catholic Role (and a Latina vessel to match her first assignments); between Zadkiel's maternal personality and the Church's teaching about Mary as protecting mother, I could see Protectors attracted to that faith just as easily as to Islam.
From what I can see, that would still work -- especially given the closeness mentioned between Zadkeilines and Laurencians.

Last edited by Rocket Man; 11-19-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Here I was getting back from volunteering at the school store, checking my email, and coming over here to mention Zadkiel, and... scooped! *grin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Of course, Dominic is older yet and still encourages Christianity, largely because he thinks it offers the best set of rules by which to create a just, faithful society. Zadkiel's stance may well be similar.
That was about how I was viewing it, yes. She's not as "into" it as Laurence and Khalid are for their respective religious views -- she manifests as a female of the species, for goodness sake! -- but she does find much of use.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Rocket Man

My thanks, good Archangel. By the way, is "The Word" on the In Nomine page going to be updated today as well? It's still showing the release of Asmodeus and the e23 Infernal Players Guide (2007) as the most recent news.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
My thanks, good Archangel. By the way, is "The Word" on the In Nomine page going to be updated today as well? It's still showing the release of Asmodeus and the e23 Infernal Players Guide (2007) as the most recent news.
Good catch! Let me email someone.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
This of course doesn't count the Superiors that are dead or absent in the core setting. For the Big List, you want Rob Kelk's famous post no. 10 in this thread: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=33181
Which I have just updated...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 11-19-2009 at 04:52 PM.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zadkiel