Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #11
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default Re: Defending against magic attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Now, area-effect Missile spells would be a bit trickier. Explosive Fireball, for instance. I'd probably treat those as detonating at the point of impact - in other words, on your weapon's blade if you parried them, or on your shield if you blocked. The block might still be somewhat useful there, effectively giving you a bit of cover against the blast, but the parry probably won't help much.
"This is RPGs! It doesn't have to make sense!"

(Sorry, but that scene is burned into my mind, so I need it to become meme.)
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #12
Plane

If you get a critical success on a bare-handed parry against a thrown missile spell, does that let you catch it without injury with the option of throwing it back on your next attack? I think that's how it works with other throwing weapons.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Unless you have Parry Missile Weapons, yes.
Is there a citation on this, either rules or Kromm quote?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #14
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Is there a citation on this, either rules or Kromm quote?
Magic, p12 (the initial description of Missile spells). The parenthentical bit is missing from the otherwise identical text on B241.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M12
Your target may block or dodge, but cannot parry (Parry Missile Weapons skill may work on some Missile spells, at the GM’s discretion).
B373, in the introductory definition of Missile Weapon Attacks, classifies Missile spells as "missile weapons" for rules purposes. I'd think this puts them into the category of being affected by "Parry Missile Weapons" by default, so we'd be looking for specific exceptions rather than specific permissions to treat them like other missile weapon attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B373
“Missile weapons” are ranged attacks other than thrown weapons: bows, firearms, Missile spells, ranged Innate Attacks, and so on.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 09-22-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
If you get a critical success on a bare-handed parry against a thrown missile spell, does that let you catch it without injury with the option of throwing it back on your next attack? I think that's how it works with other throwing weapons.
While I might allow that with a throwing knife, throwing knives have hllts. Balls of fire don't
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
While I might allow that with a throwing knife, throwing knives have hllts. Balls of fire don't
Agreed. I wouldn’t allow it by default. It might be fun, however, in unusual circumstances. A fire giant, for example, might catch a fireball. (Though why would anyone throw fire at a fire giant? Hmm... a fire giant disguised as a frost giant, yeah!)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #17
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I would allow it only for a wizard who knows the same missile spell and successfully casts it with the standard parry modification to skill. Totally not RAW, but very cool visually.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:31 PM   #18
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Agreed. I wouldn’t allow it by default. It might be fun, however, in unusual circumstances. A fire giant, for example, might catch a fireball. (Though why would anyone throw fire at a fire giant? Hmm... a fire giant disguised as a frost giant, yeah!)
Fire giant might be doing a sacrificial parry for his ice giant friend. Mages are somehow able to "hold" a fireball in the first place, so there must be some way of interacting with it.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I would allow it only for a wizard who knows the same missile spell and successfully casts it with the standard parry modification to skill. Totally not RAW, but very cool visually.
If a mage is fire aspected in their Magery level might be another case.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:57 AM   #20
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Magic, p12 (the initial description of Missile spells). The parenthentical bit is missing from the otherwise identical text on B241.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
There is explicitly a Blocking spell for that (and it only has four prerequisites).

But it is pretty expensive (costs 3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
That's a nifty idea.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catch spell, parry missile weapons