Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2017, 01:17 AM   #191
Anthony

Default Re: What Do You Want For Yrth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
I've no idea if this had any influence at all at the time of writing, but one of the things I love about Yrth is that it makes it possible to include atheist characters without that being a ridiculous thing. In a D&D style Gods-as-monsters setting, disbelief is absurd.
Not really. It's absurd to disbelieve in the existence of those entities, but it's perfectly possible to hold that they aren't gods.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:02 AM   #192
CraigM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Not really. It's absurd to disbelieve in the existence of those entities, but it's perfectly possible to hold that they aren't gods.
Disbelief is different from belief-with-condemnation.

The second is possible with both Gods-as-monsters and realistic religion. It's why you get counter-cults in most Earth religions.

Realistic disbelief requires a world in which you're not likely to run into the non-existent entity as a dungeon encounter.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #193
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Golarion has the militant atheist nation of Rahadoum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Disbelief is different from belief-with-condemnation.
It is possible to have disbelief without condemnation. I acknowledge that the Kumari definitely exists, and I don't condemn her, but I also don't believe she is a manifestation of the supreme creator, or actually divine at all. In a fantasy game you could acknowledge that the "gods" exist, not condemn them, but still think that they aren't actually worth worshipping. This seems especially viable in settings where gods are powered by belief.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-24-2017 at 10:15 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #194
jason taylor

Quote:
It's only absurd if gods do not regularly walk among mortals undisguised. If only a select few have seen them and known who they were then it becomes plausible.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #195
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
It's only absurd if gods do not regularly walk among mortals undisguised. If only a select few have seen them and known who they were then it becomes plausible.
If gods grant superpowers (D&D clerics), there's obviously something to them, even if you've never seen it personified.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #196
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
If gods grant superpowers (D&D clerics), there's obviously something to them, even if you've never seen it personified.
D&D clerics can have spells granted by a philosophy too, so it isn't especially clear the god is all that essential.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #197
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
D&D clerics can have spells granted by a philosophy too, so it isn't especially clear the god is all that essential.
And this is all in a world where spellcasting can be granted by study , heredity, being close to nature, being good at music...

Moreover, in a world with actual magic, there's always the question of "How do we know he's a god and not just a really powerful wizard?". Parting the red sea becomes less impressive when a substantial minority of humanity can learn how to control water with a bit of study.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #198
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Moreover, in a world with actual magic, there's always the question of "How do we know he's a god and not just a really powerful wizard?". Parting the red sea becomes less impressive when a substantial minority of humanity can learn how to control water with a bit of study.
In Golarion, Razmir is the "living god" of a pyramid scheme run by wizard conmen.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #199
David Johansen

Of course, atheists in the Disc World can expect a brick through their window. :D

I think that's a bit of an answer for most worlds. The gods of the Disc take their cue from the gods of Lankhmar who have, at least, limited power to mess with their followers.

All told, one might well represent monotheistic divine power with Luck and Unluck, perhaps tied to devotion to Disciplines of Faith. Alternately one might take the Delusion that failure is the result of sinful thoughts and success is the result of righteous actions. Of course, access to Divine Favour as a campaign feature should be spelled out to the players.

Magic muddies the waters of course. Especially on Yrth where there's magic but no obvious miraculous powers. Really, it's a testament to the power of the concept of religion that the existence of magic didn't simply make it irrelevant on Yrth. It goes beyond the intent of the author but the existence of a hell parallel that demons come from might well give some proof to the threatened afterlife.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #200
Kax

Quote:

Some spells are granted by spirits and ancestor spirits, too, and they aren't worshipped. Venerated, yes, but not necessarily worshipped.

Tags
wishlist, yrth