Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Possession: Does Not Exist Without Host?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
I understand that, I've seen the show, but what effect is that on gameplay? If people are actively going to have to battle mortals to take them over, then it's important to stat. Hence why I posted that "It depends on if stuff happens on or off screen". If it is a tree falling in woods, then it's basically 0 points. A disadvantage or advantage that has no effect on a campaign shouldn't cost/give points.
Your first body should be a freebie. After that, either start rolling vs nearby humans, or, roll to see how long it takes you to find a new host. This keeps you out of the game anywhere between a few minutes to several days (of game time).
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
Zale

I considered Extra Life (-40% Requires Willing Mortal Host Body; Achilles Heel: Angel Blades, Powerful Demons, Certain Artifacts -20%; Requires Reaction Roll -5%), as that would sort of accurately reflect things.

They already have Unkillable I (With the same Achilles Heel above).

So this would mean that unless killed by said AH, they get a chance to take over a new body which requires a Reaction Roll with the mortal to work. Each life is another potential host, and running out of them means you've either killed off all possible hosts, or scared them away. A new host may become available eventually, but that'll probably be after the game ends if you've killed them all. Otherwise you could probably spend unspent CP to convince whoever is left to give you a chance (Buying Extra Lives).

The actual body itself would have it's statistics subsumed into your own. The DM gets to fiddle with whatever things wouldn't be replaced, like possibly Appearance or Social Stigmas.

This, I feel, accounts for most things as far as Angels go, with only the possibility of the Angel getting forced out of the host left unaccounted for.

Thoughts?
Zale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
aesir23

Can they switch bodies without their host dying?
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Can they switch bodies without their host dying?
Demons can swap on command. Angels can give up control, but, they still need a willing host to go to somebody else.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #15
Zale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Demons can swap on command. Angels can give up control, but, they still need a willing host to go to somebody else.
I figured Demons would have normal Possession (Spiritual).

Extra Life could work well for them too, except instead of "You have no body to possess" it's, "You went and screwed up, wasted your time upstairs, so your bosses were ******. But you've got another chance right now. Don't waste it."

And burning through them would mean that your bosses decided to keep you roasting over a fire for a few hundred years or so.

Of course, there remains the whole problem of how to make their hosts have the altered physical stats of a demon while possessed.
Zale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel, host, possession, spirit, supernatural, world-spanning