Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Wyvern55

Default [GURPS] Special limitation for telecontrol

I am attempting to stat out a new character, at the moment it is established that he is able to possess others in a way similar to telecontrol (page 76, basic set, characters) with one exception:

If he is possessing something which dies, instead of just snapping back to his body safely, my character's body will suffer a heart attack.

I am having trouble determining a point cost for this limitation.
Wyvern55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: [GURPS] Special limitation for telecontrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern55 View Post
I am attempting to stat out a new character, at the moment it is established that he is able to possess others in a way similar to telecontrol (page 76, basic set, characters) with one exception:

If he is possessing something which dies, instead of just snapping back to his body safely, my character's body will suffer a heart attack.

• Backlash (Heart Attack), (-300%; Only if host dies while controlled, -40%) -180%
  • Backlash (Heart Attack), (-300%; Only if host dies while controlled, -40%; Resistible, *1/2) -90%

Backlash is described in: (GURPS Powers, pg 104). "Only if host dies while controlled, -40%" is a renamed version of "Accessibility: Less than 1% of the time, -40%" ... as I don't expect the character to be killing off its' host more than once in every hundred possessions. ;)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern55 View Post

Backlash, Heart Attack (if legal) would be a -300% limitation, but that would mean you suffer a Heart Attack automatically as soon as your possession ends. Normally you cannot "limit a limitation," but in this particular case it makes conceptual sense. If we assume "Only if the body dies" is worth -80% (as presumably it's something that you'd wish to avoid at all costs!), then that suggests -60% as a fair value.

That might be too high, though, especially since you can end your Possession as soon as the body is close to death or starts to lose a fight. So I might arbitrarily halve that, to -30%, as that "feels" more fair to me. But this is all off the top of my head and I welcome others' opinions.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Wyvern55

Yes! Backlash sounds exactly like what I need! thanks to both of you!
Wyvern55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlash, possession