Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Jumper (World): Replace other self if one exists?

Is there a way to build a World Jumper (different alternate realities) where you replace the version of you that's already there if one is present, and otherwise (if there is no "other you") works like regular Jumper?

I'd want a few variants:

(1) You physically replace the other person. So you may not have any of the same scars, may have a different haircut, and retain all other physical traits and aspects of yourself. You wind up where in the place where the other version was, and the other version is gone. When you leave, the other you comes back to the physical position where you were when you left, with a memory "blackout" of the entire time you were there, and probably more than a little confused.

(2) As (1), but the replacement goes both ways, and the other you appears from where you left your home reality, potentially mucking things up for you at home, and coming back to his world when you leave remembering all of it and probably still quite confused.

(3) You possess the body of your other self. Thus, you get all their physical traits instead of your own, but retain mental ones.

(4) Similar to (3), but it's a body swap. You get their body in their world, and they get your body in your world.

I'd also like the option to allow the limitation that "For Abilities of Power Source X, you get your 'other's' abilities, if any, and not your own". So if the Power Source is Psi, you'll have your "other's" Psi abilities, which may be different, or none at all. This could make it dangerous to Jump to a world where another version of you never gained your World Jumping ability, if applicable.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
JCurwen3

Default Re: Jumper (World): Replace other self if one exists?

For (3), it seems like I could get that effect with Possession (World-Spanning). With (4), that with Mind Swap added. I guess this would be an Alternative Ability to Jumper (World). If the character happens to be going to a world where there is no "other him", activating this will use Jumper, otherwise Possession.

I'm not sure how to make the body disappear in case (3) though; I wouldn't want it left behind, as it wouldn't fit the ability concept.

The first two alternatives (1) and (2) I'm at a loss about.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I don't know if you want a formal "afflict the target with jumper" on 2, but I think it works well as a feature. Its balanced by the fact that you get his identity but he gets the chance to mess with your life, and its only one identity.

For more laughs, give your alternate the same ability, and watch as he swaps you to random places.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Is there a way to build a World Jumper (different alternate realities) where you replace the version of you that's already there if one is present, and otherwise (if there is no "other you") works like regular Jumper?

I'd want a few variants:

(1) You physically replace the other person. So you may not have any of the same scars, may have a different haircut, and retain all other physical traits and aspects of yourself. You wind up where in the place where the other version was, and the other version is gone. When you leave, the other you comes back to the physical position where you were when you left, with a memory "blackout" of the entire time you were there, and probably more than a little confused.

(2) As (1), but the replacement goes both ways, and the other you appears from where you left your home reality, potentially mucking things up for you at home, and coming back to his world when you leave remembering all of it and probably still quite confused.

(3) You possess the body of your other self. Thus, you get all their physical traits instead of your own, but retain mental ones.

(4) Similar to (3), but it's a body swap. You get their body in their world, and they get your body in your world.

I'd also like the option to allow the limitation that "For Abilities of Power Source X, you get your 'other's' abilities, if any, and not your own". So if the Power Source is Psi, you'll have your "other's" Psi abilities, which may be different, or none at all. This could make it dangerous to Jump to a world where another version of you never gained your World Jumping ability, if applicable.
Isn't this just Possession with World-Spanning? Wouldn't that be the easier build?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Anaraxes

The Possession build fits (4), but not (1). If you're taking your own, slightly different, body along, then the other copy needs to go somewhere. Your original world (4), or suspended in Hammerspace (1).

(4) you could handle with Affliction on the target. For (1), you might want something to keep him unconscious while you Jump him to Hammerspace.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The Possession build fits (4), but not (1). If you're taking your own, slightly different, body along, then the other copy needs to go somewhere. Your original world (4), or suspended in Hammerspace (1).

(4) you could handle with Affliction on the target. For (1), you might want something to keep him unconscious while you Jump him to Hammerspace.
I'd probably call (1) a nuisance effect on your Jumper. Probably in the form of reaction penalties "What happened to your hair...where are your scars?!" (2) seems like some sort of special limitation, something like 'swaps bodies' maybe something like Temporary Disadvantage, Evil Twin. Since the whole purpose of that disadvantage is to cause you problems on your home turf. At least that's how I see it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jumper, possession, replace, world