Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 07-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default "A teleoperator can control multiple drones . . . " Wow.

Greetings, all!

Just realised you can just do that. Anyone else finding it a bit scary? Effectively getting Duplication (Requires Body) in exchange for -2 to skill can be an extremely good exchange. Like in combat. Or when doing unskilled work. Yes, I know you can do that with NAIs too, but NAIs are somewhat lacking in ability to make judgement calls, and their skill levels are probably not noticeably better than a penalised teleoperator's.

The other weird thing is that teleoperated shells cost money, while possessable shells cost points, even though the impact of the former seems bigger than of the latter.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: "A teleoperator can control multiple drones . . . " Wow.

RAW or now, I always read that to mean more that you were telling the resident simpler A.I. to do something specific than doing it fully yourself. "Punch that guy using your right arm!" rather than using your own somatic direct control to punch it using the shell's arm.

Money allows all sorts of stuff that can be used, abused, and taken away by the fickleness of fate. What do you mean exactly by impact in this context?

I tend to read money bought items as mine, and point bought ones as a part of me, as far as the subjective differences go.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
The other weird thing is that teleoperated shells cost money, while possessable shells cost points, even though the impact of the former seems bigger than of the latter.
Both kinds cost money to repair and replace, do they not? Sending in gangs of shells with split attention puts more $ at more risk.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
RAW or now, I always read that to mean more that you were telling the resident simpler A.I. to do something specific than doing it fully yourself. "Punch that guy using your right arm!" rather than using your own somatic direct control to punch it using the shell's arm.
Seems not:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mononofu
a) just tell the shell to go from A to B, ie from the shopping mall to your home
That's not teleoperation; that's sending orders to an infomorph.
Quote:
Money allows all sorts of stuff that can be used, abused, and taken away by the fickleness of fate. What do you mean exactly by impact in this context?
Most of the time, all except one of your Puppets just sits there waiting to be Possessed. But you can get genuine benefits from simultaneously teleoperating a few shells (which may also happen to be your Puppets, or not).

Quote:
I tend to read money bought items as mine, and point bought ones as a part of me, as far as the subjective differences go.
Well, you buy skill sets with money.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
MatthewVilter

I'm not sure what I think of this...

On the one hand my first instinct is to say the penalty should be higher. Multitasking is very hard to do well.

On the other hand a -2 penalty represents a very large change in odds of success for a professional in the 12-13 skill range. Exceptional individuals with higher skill are better off but it's not like you spend the points on skill 15 for the tiny improvement it gives you when unimpaired...
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multitasking, possession, puppet, shells, teleoperation