Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
B9anders

Default Re: Enhancements as abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
I allow using both the Full Memory Access/Assimilation enhancement with Mind Probe/Reading, at +20% since it includes Assimilation and Full Memory Access, I also allow it as a Power Stunt using Mind Probe/Reading.

It's a reasonably common trope with Telepathy, and modular abilities doesn't fit as well as the Full Memory Access/Assimilation enhancements.
Full Memory access is already covered by Memory Bank for Mind Probe. But I'd allow Assimilation as a modifier for Mind probe too as a +50% enhancement which puts the points cost for the enhancement as the same as for Possession which is fair as it is completely the same effect, simply with a different root ability.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
Full Memory access is already covered by Memory Bank for Mind Probe. But I'd allow Assimilation as a modifier for Mind probe too as a +50% enhancement which puts the points cost for the enhancement as the same as for Possession which is fair as it is completely the same effect, simply with a different root ability.
Full Memory in this case allows for the IQ/Will skills which aren't covered by Assimilation which only allows for ST/DX/HT skills.

I've been using it as a +20% enhancement for years and haven't had any issues.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
B9anders

Quote:
Full Memory in this case allows for the IQ/Will skills which aren't covered by Assimilation which only allows for ST/DX/HT skills.

I've been using it as a +20% enhancement for years and haven't had any issues.
Ah right. 10/20% as an enhancement on top of assimilation sounds decent enough. To be honest, I would only allow it anyway on top of Memory Bank. And by then, I figure Assimilation as a singular enhancement at +50% should just allow all skills to be learned, irrespective of it being IQ/DX or HT-based. Assume the difference is already covered by Memory Bank.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Ah right. 10/20% as an enhancement on top of assimilation sounds decent enough. To be honest, I would only allow it anyway on top of Memory Bank. And by then, I figure Assimilation as a singular enhancement at +50% should just allow all skills to be learned, irrespective of it being IQ/DX or HT-based. Assume the difference is already covered by Memory Bank.
I don't normally allow Memory Bank, I suppose I'd consider allowing Memory Bank if paired with Eidetic Memory, but Memory Bank in general is just way too powerful for most uses.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
B9anders

Quote:
I don't normally allow Memory Bank, I suppose I'd consider allowing Memory Bank if paired with Eidetic Memory, but Memory Bank in general is just way too powerful for most uses.
Quintessential though for the "Beloved character X may be dead, but I absorbed his consciousness before that. Now all we need is a host body and I will dedicate one of my compartmentalized minds to Possess it while imprinting it with Beloved Character X's memories and mental patterns" trick.

Or alternative, utterly wiping someone's mind and replacing it with the snapshot (continual use of Slow and Sure Conditioning Mind Control ought to do the trick). For optimal effect, you lie to the reshaped individual that he is merely a mental template adapted to another soul and tell him he has been reincarnated, given a divine second chance or some such, to hide your self motivations to have that person in your life. I've always wanted to do that with another PC in a campaign.

Last edited by B9anders; 06-17-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #16
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Quintessential though for the "Beloved character X may be dead, but I absorbed his consciousness before that. Now all we need is a host body and I will dedicate one of my compartmentalized minds to Possess it while imprinting it with Beloved Character X's memories and mental patterns" trick.
I've done that before, using Possession though, not Mind Probe.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #17
Walrus

If it's still actual there is special form of Modular Abilities (Telepathic Learning) in Psionic Powers.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
If it's still actual there is special form of Modular Abilities (Telepathic Learning) in Psionic Powers.
It's still modular abilities, which the OP doesn't want (for whatever reason).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #19
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeloche View Post
Is there an approved method for turning a specific ability's enhancement into a stand-alone ability?

The specific example I'm thinking of is the Assimilation (+10%) enhancement for Possession. I don't need or want to be able to possess someone - but it would be great if my telepath could rearrange their skillset in the way this enhancement allows (without modular abilities, thank you).

There is something similar to this on Powers 146 (Modifying ST-Based Damage), but I'm just wondering if there's anything else to support doing this.
Some abilities have X and X only as alternative modifiers; for example, Mind Control has Conditioning and Conditioning Only. There's no general rule for this, but a look at some examples might help you get a sense of how to make up a suitable new "X Only" limitation.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ability, assimilation, enhancement, possession, raw