Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 07-29-2017, 09:33 PM   #21
LokRobster

Default Re: Car Wars Projects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Which reminds me... I had the folks at the Geeks of Cascadia podcast post up some pictures of the potential toppers for the Dragonflight trophy to solicit feedback. I got a few responses, but not a lot. So maybe a few folks here have an opinion.

These are 1:32 scale Jada Battle Machines

Red Mustang
Black Camaro
Blue Camaro
Silver Silverado
Red Silverado

One of these will be going on the Dragonflight trophy. If you've got an opinion, speak up.
Of those I like the black '69 camaro the best. The huge minigun on the hood, great armor, imposing silhouette. Topping a trophy, it would be immediately apparent that the award is for weaponized cars :)

I like the red mustang, but the rockets in the front bumper are kinda subtle. The trucks are cool but I'm not really a pickup guy.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #22
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
Of those I like the black '69 camaro the best. The huge minigun on the hood, great armor, imposing silhouette. Topping a trophy, it would be immediately apparent that the award is for weaponized cars :)
My vote as well.
kjamma4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:15 PM   #23
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
My vote as well.
And I make three.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
Magesmiley

D'oh. I tallied the votes from various sources on Sunday and the silver truck was tied with the black Camaro. So I asked my 8 year old son and my wife, and they both favored the silver truck, so I went with that. Pictures coming soon (I still need to fire up the laser engraver and make the plate).

On the arena, painting is going slower than I would like. Between random cat paw prints (I'm up to three times now), my kids dumping a bunch of stuff on some of the pieces (not broken but needed serious repainting), and problems with the paint bubbling when I took the boards outside to try to avoid the cats, I'm a fair bit behind. I've finally got the large pieces mostly done with a good coat of clear enamel sprayed on to protect them. I'm still working on painting the walls of the arena. Crunch time coming soon to finish it up.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:21 AM   #25
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

Jimmylogan is hosting his newest Car Wars PBEM soon, and it has fourteen players running sixteen cars across four different teams. There's an extensive walkaround list, but my eyes began to glaze over when trying to decipher who's who. So I created a little cheat sheet hoping to simplify things a hair and produce a quick reference sheet for everyone in the game. I was heavily inspired by old ticket stubs, so created one for each team. I love the look and feel of the older car counters, so used those with some color tweaks.

Here's a mush of all four "tickets" for the event in one image. The link should work even if you're not a member of deviantart. (If not, I'll try to find another host.)

:)

http://fav.me/dbir5sb
josephrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #26
Magesmiley

I put the Car Wars trophy for Dragonflight together the other day.

Painting continues on the new arena. I think I'm going to make it in time for the convention. The weather in the Seattle area is not helping. I'm hoping to have everything together for a test game next week.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #27
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

Rad, rad.

And yes, the weather up here has been beastly!
josephrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #28
Racer

Our Bi-Annual Military Campaign kicked off today : Bandits , irregular Mercenaries back by a couple of local Warlords from the former Yugoslavian region invading Austria & North West Italy . Peacekeepers & under equipped local Military have to slow them down & blunt their offensive .

We're engaged in Armoured Car & light forces Battle on the site of abandoned Venice Airport . Expect to finish tomorrow oronday evening . Austrian's have lost an Attack Helicopter & their Medium Armored Cars are taking a battering from the Warlords's trio of Large Armoured Cars .
Fortunately the British Peacekeeping Force have used their Landing Craft ( NOVA pages , Navel Wars ) to drop an MBT on the shore .
A 'Centurion 21' will even the odds I think ! ;-)

Played in a local Scout Hut , with four Table Tennis tables pushed together . 10 & 12 year olds make good use of themselves by crawling under & popping up between parted table tops to move counters & make sure buildings etc are still stuck down with blu-tac .

Lightbulb will be sharing photos on his Facebook hosted group - will have to Photoshop a number first , so no faces of unrelated youngsters are shown .

It's amazing in these days of electronic gadgets , that you can keep an 8 year old
Girl fascinated for two hours with Polyhedral Gem Dice ! X-D
Just rolling them & making patterns . I let her keep a spare blue one & she wants to see our full collections Sunday evening at the BBQ .
Also we have a number of teenagers & younger kids wanting to start playing . I'll ask my Cousin to organise a simple Amateur Night or Division 10 on a separate table in the afternoon .
Will update soon & over the coming weeks .

Next Weekend : City Fight in the Ruins of Trieste !
Old 08-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #29
tumbleweed1025

My CW project today was to do some storage-shed archaeology and bring my Car Wars stuff in where it's handy.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:02 AM   #30
Magesmiley

And another update on my project.

The main painting is done (still some touch up to do). I've also pinned things together using some dowels and finally set everything up. And there is a long piece of elastic around the outside edge to help hold things together.

Picture 1
Picture 2

That is a Hot Wheels car mounted on a 3" x 1.5" clear acrylic base sitting on the upper deck for reference.

More problems... my dining room table isn't wide enough for this. Which made assembling it at home a bit tough (the table at the convention is going to be big enough). I made a couple of the pieces for the gates a bit too small and need to go back and fix those. Some trimming is needed for a couple of the bases so that the walls align better. And I still need to add gate numbers and decorate the corner bunkers. And of course the obligatory advertising banners around the arena perimeter. And I still need to make a few flight stands for jumping/falling cars.

Surprisingly, the ramps turned out ok and I got the center bunker mounted ok. And I think the color scheme works, even though I wanted a bit brighter red.

But... I think that it will hold together well enough for a trial run. I've got a game set up for tomorrow with some members of my regular gaming group to see how well it works and to iron out any problems.