Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Azrael

Default Modifying Control Fire

I'm trying to build a Fire Control ability, but want to tweak some of the assumptions of the Control advantage.

The Control advantage (Powers, Page 90) states that the character can elongate or flow the target at Move equal to their Control level. What if you wanted to move the substance faster? How much would this enhancement cost per level of extra speed?

Also, can fire be strengthened/weakened using control? If so, how much of a limitation would it be to remove this ability?

Thanks in advance.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Modifying Control Fire

I would go with +/1 damage per levle based on the rest of that text.
Control is not about doing damage and is not efficnet at it.
The move faster thing, no idea but it is a big part of the power so I am inlcined to say no to an enhancement that lets you move it faster.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Dustin

To move the substance faster, I would buy additional levels of Control, maybe with a -50% limitation Doesn't Increase Volume Affected. That or buy Altered Time Rate or Compartmentalized Mind with a limitation Only for Control Concentration.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Azrael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
To move the substance faster, I would buy additional levels of Control, maybe with a -50% limitation Doesn't Increase Volume Affected. That or buy Altered Time Rate or Compartmentalized Mind with a limitation Only for Control Concentration.
Interesting idea with the Altered Time Rate. That may be the way to go.

Edit: How would altered time rate be priced for just one ability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The move faster thing, no idea but it is a big part of the power so I am inlcined to say no to an enhancement that lets you move it faster.
Speed does appear to be very important. However, I think that strength (area/weight) vs finesse (speed) could be an issue for certain campaigns where there is a lot of magical duelling. Being able to change them independently would help individualize characters that have the same type of control.

Edit: I was thinking about half levels to buy up speed or area. I'm not sure that this is fair though.

Last edited by Azrael; 07-11-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
The Control advantage (Powers, Page 90) states that the character can elongate or flow the target at Move equal to their Control level. What if you wanted to move the substance faster? How much would this enhancement cost per level of extra speed?
I'd say to buy additional levels of Control with the (Move Only, -40%) limitation from Telekinesis; as Telekinesis has the same limitation of "move equal to level" that Control does.

Telekinesis.Move Only is from (GURPS Powers, pg 83)

Quote:
Also, can fire be strengthened/weakened using control? If so, how much of a limitation would it be to remove this ability?
I'd say -20%, based on (Damage Modifier (Missing Damage Effect)) from (GURPS Powers, pg 102).
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Azrael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
I'd say to buy additional levels of Control with the (Move Only, -40%) limitation from Telekinesis; as Telekinesis has the same limitation of "move equal to level" that Control does.

I'd say -20%, based on (Damage Modifier (Missing Damage Effect)) from (GURPS Powers, pg 102).
Thanks. Both great ideas. :)

Last edited by Azrael; 07-11-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post

Shrewd. I was going to suggest actually taking Telekinesis (you'd need an analogue for fire to the Hydrokinesis Perk from Psionic Powers), but your way looks more elegant.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, control, fire, modifiers