Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
MGibster

Default Bite = Striker (Char. Creation Help)

Howdy folks,

It's been a long time since I've run a game of GURPS. Now I'm contemplating a Wild Cards type of supers campaign and I can't help but think that GURPS is exactly what I'm looking for. As is my custom when running a game I like to make my own characters so I make sure I'm able to help my players if they run into any problems.

Concept: Basically I have a character called Blubber Boy who looks like a cross between Shamu and a longshoreman. He's big, strong, physically resilient and his main attack is a vicious bite. I know there's a Teeth advantage but I'm picturing a biting attacking that is a bit more serious and Striker seems to fit the bill.

So would you use Striker and add Striking Strength to get the desired effect? If I were to add limitations Cannot Parry and Limited Arc to drive down the cost -80% would I apply this before or after I add Striking ST?
MGibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Bite = Striker (Char. Creation Help)

You'd also want to apply (Limb, Mouth, -20%) from (GURPS Martial Arts, pg 47) so as to avoid the whole "gives an extra limb" component of Striker.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGibster View Post
Howdy folks
Hey.

Quote:
Now I'm contemplating a Wild Cards type of supers campaign and I can't help but think that GURPS is exactly what I'm looking for.
That's appropriate, since it's the game system George R. R. Martin's tabletop group uses...

Quote:
So would you use Striker and add Striking Strength to get the desired effect?
You could do that, but you'd pretty much be trading away the biting auto-grapple/worry effect for +1/die damage if you take Cannot Parry on it. You can also add Striking ST to his bite without making it a Striker.

Quote:
If I were to add limitations Cannot Parry and Limited Arc to drive down the cost -80% would I apply this before or after I add Striking ST?
Before, but if the Striking ST only applies to a single attack that's good for -60% on it.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
vierasmarius

Quote:
So would you use Striker and add Striking Strength to get the desired effect? If I were to add limitations Cannot Parry and Limited Arc to drive down the cost -80% would I apply this before or after I add Striking ST?
Cannot Parry and Limited Arc apply only to the Striker itself, and have no bearing on the Striking ST. Instead, Striking ST gets the "one attack only" limitation (-60%, P79). Since you should be putting the Limb limitation (from MA) on Striker, you may want to drop Limited Arc - which makes sense, if he can turn his head freely to bite others (as opposed to having an inflexible neck, like a shark). If he's got a disproportionately large mouth (allowing him to Grapple man-sized targets with his bite) you can give him the Born Biter feature too (MA115).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
MGibster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
You could do that, but you'd pretty much be trading away the biting auto-grapple/worry effect for +1/die damage if you take Cannot Parry on it. You can also add Striking ST to his bite without making it a Striker.
It didn't occur to me that I could just use Striking Strength on its own. I think using SS and the Teeth advantage will get me where I want to be.

Quote:
Before, but if the Striking ST only applies to a single attack that's good for -60% on it.
What limitation would give it a -60% cost?

I appreciate everyone's replies by the way.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
What limitation would give it a -60% cost?
It's called like One Attack Only -60% or something like that IIRC. It appears in the RAW for the biting-only Striking ST on the iconic character Xing La in the back of the book.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
It didn't occur to me that I could just use Striking Strength on its own. I think using SS and the Teeth advantage will get me where I want to be.
You may want to consider the Striker "limb" anyways. Strikers have the benefit of not being damaged if they get parried by a weapon - a regular old bite does not, which can quickly lead to a pretty painful situation for your Orca man even if his foe is only using an improvised weapon, like the super-heroically-traditional parking-meter.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You may want to consider the Striker "limb" anyways. Strikers have the benefit of not being damaged if they get parried by a weapon - a regular old bite does not, which can quickly lead to a pretty painful situation for your Orca man even if his foe is only using an improvised weapon, like the super-heroically-traditional parking-meter.
Seconded. Don't bring plain-old teeth to a parking-meter fight, if you can help it.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Bruno

I also strongly recommend not trying to bite someone with your "normal" teeth if they're swinging a city bus around with malice aforethought.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
MGibster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
It's called like One Attack Only -60% or something like that IIRC. It appears in the RAW for the biting-only Striking ST on the iconic character Xing La in the back of the book.
Thanks, I spotted it on the iconic character like you pointed out. I'm still looking for the limitation so I can point it out to other players though. GURPS is a great game but I think it's a bit overwhelming for new players.

Tags
advantage, striker