Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
starslayer

Default Re: Automatically makes all normal Vision rolls?

We are basically talking about putting the 'no die roll roll required' enhancement on a basic ability (perception checks); there are already two listed examples of this (indomitable, and unfazeable) - it should conform to how those abilities work.

You roll anyway, but always succeed even when it would otherwise be a failure (so long as final skill was > 3) with a margin of success of 0. Thus in a contested roll, you still contest, but if BOTH of you fail, you still win (which is actually pretty good if everyone is defaulting from basic stats; but less good against someone who knows what they are doing).

This also prevents the 'see people on the moon' scenario unless you have somewhere in the 60s for perception (so that your final skill is > 3 for 'spot moon people').
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
What? Why?

At a minimum you should get a normal resistance roll involving vision.
Not at all, we were treating this as no roll required. See fright checks are not contested rolls so it works there, perception checks are frequently contested.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
Not at all, we were treating this as no roll required. See fright checks are not contested rolls so it works there, perception checks are frequently contested.
It's no-roll-required not no-roll-allowed.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
the main thing he mus choose roll before he finds out it's a contested roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
For a beneficial Affliction, the combination of Cosmic (NDRR) and Fixed Duration will accomplish the result of, "I use my ability and it buffs my friend for X minutes," yes.

But just to be clear, for a standard, hostile Affliction, the combination of the two means that if the attacker either fails his roll or declines to roll, his MOS is treated as 0, which means that the victim is very likely to defend successfully against it. If the victim still manages to fail, the ability afflicts him for a fixed duration of X minutes, regardless of the actual margin of victory.
If he just scanning around ueing no roll reuqured it assumed a MOS 0 to anyone tring to be stealthy. but if the person thinks there is something hidned and is alooking for it he get the roll
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
starslayer

Quote:
This has been covered before- but not in this thread; no roll required, when involved in a contest, you still roll; but even if you fail you get to 'claim a 0'; this can be very useful when both sides are suffering heavy TDMs.

Example: Two supers, both with malediction type attacks, one with 'no roll required' the other will skill 20 <The other using 15>.

They are targeting a moderately resistive individual (will 12), at a distance of 5 yards (-5 penalty).

Super 1 roll an 11, and would normally fail, but gets to claim a 0 success, but the resistive individual rolls an 11, and resists.

Super 2 rolls an 11, succeeds by 4, and resistive individual rolls an 11, and succeeds by 2, super 2 hits with maladiction.

They then enter a warp zone causing will -7 to all parties.

Super 1 rolls an 11, and would normally fail, but gets to claim a 0 success, the resistive individual rolls an 11 and gets a -5; it hits.

Super 2 rolls an 11, fails by 3, no resistance roll is required it failed to even require resistance.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
Lamech

I would use no nuisance rolls for this, anything you need a 16 or less for is an auto-success. Or I think a little bit less confusing when contests come up, any roll of 17 or 18 is treated as a 16 on vision rolls. Then buy X levels of acute vision.

I would not allow infinite vision. "Hey look some aliens over on mars" and "watch me act like a microscope" ect.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #17
the_matrix_walker

I see no problem with this in theory as long as instances where a contest is involved still require a roll against the normal vision score (with any failure being considered a success with zero margin).

I would point out however that comparing the price to Unfazable may be skewed as Unfazable includes a built in role-playing requirement of being the deadpan strait man... not sure of the value of that restriction, but it is clearly stated.

As for when modifiers come into play, range and whatnot, you would succeed any vision check that did not reduce your effective vision roll under 3
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:05 AM   #18
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I would point out however that comparing the price to Unfazable may be skewed as Unfazable includes a built in role-playing requirement of being the deadpan strait man... not sure of the value of that restriction, but it is clearly stated.
Kromm on Unfazeable:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Unfazeable comes with roleplaying advice because it's a wholly unrealistic mental trait and no gamer is likely to have a hope in hell of roleplaying it well. While fictional physical and social traits can be reduced to game mechanics, it's harder to do this with made-up mental traits in an RPG, where playing a role is at least part of the point . . . hence the advice. But you're free to ignore the advice and simply treat it as Immunity to Fear and Intimidation [15], sure.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #19
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

By Heimdal's All Seeing Eyes what is the rationale for this ability?

I am thinking about this in the context of what can be applied to computer and AI systems that are tasked with using passive sensors for security or search operations. I am not at all sure how to do this with an active sensor since there are ECM abilities that absorb or redirect the sensor energy and that leads to the user getting no positive reading but the ECM modifier wouldn't be enough for an automatic failure.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #20
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I am not sure I would allow it, since fright checks are normally not contests, but perception checks ARE-
Influence rolls are contested, and Indomitable allows you to automatically succeed at those too. Also 15 points.

Tags
acute vision, advantage, unfazeable, vision